Graduate Medical Education (GME) Orientation
All accepted residents into LUCOM’s Graduate Medical Education program will receive an onboarding email that lists essential steps and guidelines to follow as a LUCOM Resident and requirements that should be completed via MedHub, the LUCOM residency management system. If you have questions about a required document, use the contact information included on the LUCOM Graduate Medical Education Services Onboarding Checklist.
Before Arriving for Orientation
Prior to orientation, you must contact provider enrollment by May of the matriculating year.
- If you have a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number, please send it to Joy Palmer, DO, the Program Director for the ONMM program via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you do not know your NPI number, you can look it up by first and last name in the NPI registry.
- If you do not have an NPI number, please register for one. Individuals or organizations apply for NPIs through the CMS National Plan and Provider Enumeration System(NPPES).
- When you are assigned an NPI number, please send it to Joy Palmer, DO, Program Director, via email to: email@example.com.
- If you do not have a U.S. Social Security number, you cannot apply for an NPI number. Complete the NPI instructions once you have your Social Security number.
Complete Licensure Requirements
Start working on the licensure application as soon as possible.
- Complete national and state background studies.You will receive an email with more details regarding this process. All trainees must pass the background check before seeing patients.
- Inform LUCOM Graduate Medical Education Services (LUCOM GMES) about special needs. If you have special needs, such as a sign language interpreter, lactation room, or wheelchair access, please send it to Joy Palmer, DO, Program Director, via email to: Joy.Palmer@libertymountainmedical.com.
On or before orientation please bring the following items as you must provide proof of your legal right to work:
- Print the I-9 employment eligibility form
- Complete only section 1 (page 1)
- Present the I-9 Employment Eligibility form along with applicable documents that establish identification and employment authorization to Human Resources (refer to page 4 for a list of acceptable documents)
- Social Security card. Present your original Social Security card to Human Resources. If you have a Social Security number but have misplaced your card, or need to update it due to a name change you must contact the local Social Security Office to obtain a new one.
Liberty University Graduate Medical Education Services (LUCOM GMES) provides orientation for incoming residents and fellows each year.
Business formal attire is required to attend orientation:
- Men: suit, sport coat, dress pants, dress shirt and tie, sweater (as needed).
- Women: suit, blazer or jacket, dress pants or skirt, dress, blouse or shirt, sweater (as needed)
Candidates, should they become matriculating residents with LUCOM GMES, should be aware that a required in-person orientation will be scheduled for mid-to-late June each year. Therefore, incoming residents should plan to transition to the Lynchburg region ahead of June 20.