Associate Professor of Biochemistry
- PhD, State University of New York at Buffalo
- MS, State University of New York at Buffalo
- BS, Bob Jones University
- Biomedical Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine (BFOM)
- Cardiovascular Respiratory Hematologic System (CVRH)
- Endocrinology (ENDO)
- Gastroenterology (GI)
- Gastrointestinal System and Nutrition (GINUTRI)
- Population Based Medicine (PBM)
- Urinary System (URI)
- Association of Biochemistry Educators
- International Association of Medical Science Educators
Dr. Severance earned his BS in chemistry from Bob Jones University and a PhD in biochemistry from the State University of New York at Buffalo. In between earning his undergraduate degree and a terminal postgraduate degree, he earned an MS in natural sciences and taught high school science for five years in California and Chile.
Upon completing his PhD, Dr. Severance taught at Canisius College for one year before spending four years as a post-doctoral fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Iqbal Hamza at the University of Maryland, College Park. His research, funded by an individual post-doctoral fellowship grant from the National Institutes of Health, sought to elucidate the pathways that organisms use to traffic heme.
Prior to coming to LUCOM, Dr. Severance was on faculty at Clarks Summit University of Pennsylvania for five years and taught a variety of courses including chemistry, physics, philosophy of science, and teaching science in secondary schools.
- Tzu-Pin Wang, Yu-Chih Su, Yi Chen, Scott Severance, Chi-Ching Hwang, Yi-Ming Liou, Chia-Hui Lu, Kun-Liang Lin, Rui Jing Zhu and Eng-Chi Wang; Corroboration of Zn(II)–Mg(II)-tertiary structure interplays essential for the optimal catalysis of a phosphorothiolate thiolesterase ribozyme; RSC Adv., 2018, 8, 32775 – 32793
- Wang, T-P, Ko, N C, Su, Y-C, Wang, E-C, Severance, S., Hwang, C-C, Shih, Y T, Wu, M H, and Chen, Y-H. (2012) Advanced Aqueous-Phase Phosphoramidation Reactions for Effectively Synthesizing Peptide−Oligonucleotide Conjugates Trafficked into a Human Cell Line. Bioconjugate Chemistry, 23: 2417-2433
- Severance S, Chen C, Hamza I. Eukaryotic Heme Trafficking. In: Handbook of Porphyrin Science. Edited by Kadish KM, Smith KM, Guilard R, vol. 15: Biochemistry of Tetrapyrroles: World Scientific Publishing Co.; 2011: 1-48.
- Severance S, Rajagopal A, Rao AU, Cerqueira GC, Mitreva M, et al. (2010) Genome-Wide Analysis Reveals Novel Genes Essential for Heme Homeostasis inCaenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet 6(7): e1001044. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1001044
- Severance, S. and Hamza, I. (2009) Trafficking of Heme and Porphyrins in Metazoa. Chem. Rev., 109:4596–4616.
- Kwok, E. Y., Severance, S., and Kosman, D. J. (2006) Evidence for iron channeling in the Fet3p, Ftr1p high affinity iron uptake complex in the yeast plasma membrane. Biochemistry, 45:6317-6327
- Singh, A., Severance, S., Kaur, N., Wiltsie, W. and Kosman, D. J. (2006) Assembly, activation and trafficking of the Fet3p, Ftr1p high affinity iron permease complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Biol. Chem., 281:13355-13364
- Kwok, E. Y., Stoj, C. S., Severance, S., and Kosman, D. J. (2006) An engineered bifunctional high affinity iron uptake protein in the yeast plasma membrane.J. Inorg. Biochem. 100:1053-1060
- Severance, S., Chakraborty, S., and Kosman, D. J. (2004) The Ftr1p iron permease in the yeast plasma membrane: orientation, topology, and structure-function relationships. Biochem. J. 380:487–496.
- Wang, T-P., Quintanar, L., Severance, S., Solomon, E. I., and Kosman, D. J. (2003) Targeted suppression of the ferroxidase and iron trafficking activities of the multicopper oxidase, Fet3p, from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Inorg. Biol. Chem., 8:611-620.
- Palmer, A. E., Quintanar, L., Severance, S., Wang, T-P., Kosman, D. J., and Solomon, E. I. (2002) Spectroscopic characterization and O2 reactivity of the trinuclear Cu cluster of mutants of the multicopper oxidase Fet3p. Biochemistry, 41:6438-6448.
- Machonkin, T. E., Quintanar, L., Palmer, A. E., Hassett, R., Severance, S., Kosman, D. J. and Solomon, E. I. (2001) Spectroscopy and reactivity of the type 1 copper site in Fet3p from Saccharomyces cerevisiae: Correlation of structure with reactivity in the multicopper oxidases. J. Amer. Chem. Soc, 123:5507-5517.
- Iron Trafficking
- Factors that affect the academic success of medical school students