Home / DIY Adventures
Local Trip Ideas
- Flat Top Mountain, the lesser-known twin to Sharp Top Mountain, forms the popular Peaks of Otter.
- Cascade Falls is a Virginia Tech classic but is well worth the drive for LU students as well.
- Mt. Pleasant and Cole/Cold Mountain are two great hikes for those looking to go somewhere new but still within an hour from campus.
- National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated Maps are essential for finding your next hiking adventure!
- George Washington National Forest offers primitive camping opportunities for adventurers throughout Virginia’s wilderness areas!
- Peaks of Otter Campground offers a beautiful mountain camping experience between the Flat Top and Sharp Top peaks.
- Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort offers many lodging opportunities near Crabtree Falls, the Priest, and Spy Rock.
- (VA Blue Line Map) For the fly fishermen craving native trout and beautiful rural and wilderness settings. Remember to adhere to private property and fishing regulation laws!
- The South River is a popular spot for large rainbow and brown trout in Waynesboro, VA.
- Try your luck on the James River for large muskie and smallmouth bass.
- The James River offers many adventure opportunities. Enjoy a tubing trip down the many routes near Lynchburg with Twin River Outfitters, James River Reeling & Rafting, and Alleghany Outdoors.
- The New River and New River Valley offer unlimited outdoor recreation opportunities. Looking for a relaxing float with easy water? Try Independence to Baywood (Map) For the seasoned paddler try Bridle Creek to Independence (Map)
- Read our blog, it is full of great ideas for trips and includes our 4 E’s of Decision Making for planning safe trips!
- Lynchburg Parks and Rec has a beautiful park/trail system. Be sure to enjoy them while you live in Lynchburg!