Rules and Regulations
General Range Rules
- Immediately follow ALL directions and commands of the Range Safety Officer, or RSO, at your shooting venue. Obey “cease fire” commands immediately and return your firearm to a safe status.
- Failure to follow all of a LMGC RSO’s directions or commands will result in dismissal from LMGC.
- No parties prohibited from purchasing, owning or using a firearm, or convicted felons, or anyone under a current restraining order may use any of the shooting venues at LMGC.
- Proper eye and ear protection must be worn at all times.
- All state and federal firearms laws and regulations apply at LMGC.
- All guns entering and leaving LMGC must be unloaded and contained in a case until an RSO has given permission to uncase the firearm. The loading and unloading of any firearm or magazine can only take place at a designated range under the supervision of a RSO.
- If you bring more than one firearm to LMGC you may only have one firearm on the line at a time, keeping other firearms unloaded and cased.
- Shotguns for the skeet, trap and sporting clays ranges may be left uncased, but must be unloaded and left with the action open.
- No cell phone may be used while handling a firearm.
- No substances that cause impairment will be allowed at LMGC. Range Safety Officers have the right to not allow anyone to shoot who displays any signs of impairment.
- No hand to hand transfers of firearms, they must be placed on a bench or gun rack before another person may handle the firearm.
- No firing from the hip.
- You must clean up your spent casings, shotgun hulls and all other trash before you leave each shooting venue.
Four Main Firearm Safety Rules
- Treat ALL firearms as if they are loaded at ALL times.
- Muzzle Awareness: Always keep the muzzle of your firearm pointed in the safest direction possible.
- Trigger Finger Discipline: Keep your trigger finger straight, out of the trigger guard and off the trigger, until you are ready to fire.
- Know your Backstop: Always be sure of your target, what is in front of it and what is behind it.
Age and Personnel Regulations
- Use of the range is only open to CURRENT students, staff or faculty. These groups are allowed to bring up to two immediate family members at one time.
- A current student, staff or faculty member must be present at the time a family member is using the range.
- You must be 18 years or older to utilize the range without a parent or legal guardian present.
- No one under the age of 14 is allowed on the range at any time.
- Anyone between the ages of 14 and 18 must have a parent or legal guardian present at ALL times when using the range.
Firearms and Ammunition Restrictions
- RSOs have the right to inspect any shooter’s firearm or ammunition for safety at any time and LMGC users must promptly permit RSO inspections on request.
- No automatic weapons may be fired at LMGC (even those with proper permits).
- No “echo” or binary style triggers will be utilized. The firearm may have such a trigger only with a selector switch that must remain in single-fire only mode.
- No rifles chambered in 7.62X54R will be allowed. This includes Mosin-Nagant and all derivatives thereof.
- No rifles chambered in .46 or larger. The ONLY exceptions are:
- .50 Beauwolf
- .50 AE
- Until further notice, all Smith & Wesson 15-22’s will be banned due to the S&W Safety Alert.
- Muzzleloaders are not allowed except during events specific to their use.
- RSOs reserve the right to restrict any caliber for usage on steel, or at 100 yards.
- RSOs reserve the right to remove any rifles that are disproportionately loud due to barrel length or compensator design.
- No reloaded ammunition (sorry reloaders, even if you’re experienced we cannot take the risk at this facility)
- No steel core or armor piercing projectiles may be used.
- No tracer or incendiary ammunition may be used.
- For shotguns, ONLY lead ammunition may be fired, and must be 7 1/2 shot or smaller.
Any questions about the rules and regulations can be directed to our office at (434) 582-3457 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org