Joseph C. Gigliotti, PhD
Assistant Professor of Physiology
- PhD, West Virginia University
- MS, West Virginia University
- BS, West Virginia University
Dr. Gigliotti worked in the Division of Nephrology at the University of Virginia, School of Medicine (UVA) as a NIH T32 postdoctoral fellow from 2011-2016. During this time, he discovered and described a simple ultrasound method that prevents ischemic tissue damage. He would also show similar mechanisms occur in the etiology of hypertension and he continues to work on these projects in collaboration with his colleagues at UVA.
At LUCOM, Dr. Gigliotti continues to study the role of diet in the immunopathology of heart and kidney disease using animal models.
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Heart Association
- American Physiological Society
- American Association of Immunologists
- Acid-Base Physiology
- Renal Physiology
- Charles, E.J., Tian, Y., Zhang, A., Wu, D., Mehaffey, J.H., Gigliotti, J.C., Klibanov, A.L., Kron, I.L., & Yang, Z. Pulsed ultrasound attenuates the hyperglycemic exacerbation of myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury. In preparation.
- Gigliotti, J.C., Tin, A., Pourafshar, Cechova, S., Sung, J.S.J., Bodonyi-Kovacs, G., Cross, J., Yang, G., Nyugen, N., Chan, F., Rebholz, C., Yu, B., Grove, M.L., Arking, D., Grams, M.E., Kottgen, A., Scharpf, R., Ruiz, P., Boerwinkle, E., Coresh, J., & Le, T.H. GSTM1 deletionexaggerates oxidative stress and kidney injury in experimental mouse models and modifies the protective effect of cruciferous vegetables against kidney disease in mice and humans. Submitted to Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.
- Nagalakshmi, V.K., Li, M., Sha, S., Gigliotti, J.C., Klibanov, A.L., Epstein, F.H., Chevalier, R.L., Gomez, A., Sequeira-Lopez, M.L.S. Changes in cell fate determine the regenerative and functional capacity of the developing kidney before and after release of obstruction. Clinical Science, 132, 2519-2545.
- Chu, P.L., Gigliotti, J.C., Cechova, S., Bodonyi-Kovacs, G., Chan, F., Ralph, D., Howell, N., Kalantari, K., Klibanov, A.L., Carey, R.M., McDonough, A.A., & Le, T.L. Renal collectrin protects against salt sensitive hypertension and is downregulated by angiotensin II. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 28, 1826-1837.
- Bajwa, A., Huang. L., Ye, H., Gigliotti, J.C., Miller, J., Patel, B., Christian, N., Rosin, D.L., Lobo, P.I., & Okusa, M.D. S1pr3-/-dendritic cells modulate the splenic immune response to ischemia-reperfusion injury. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 27, 1076-1090.
- Gigliotti, J.C., Huang, L., Bajwa, A., Ye, H., Mace, E., Hossack, J., Kalantari, K., Rosin, D.L., & Okusa, M.D. Ultrasound modulates the splenic neuroimmune axis in attenuating AKI. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 26, 2470-2481.
- Durbin, S.M., Jackson, J.R., Ryan, M.J., Gigliotti, J.C., Always, S.E., & Tou, J.C. Resveratrol supplementation preserves long bone mass, microstructure, and strength in hind limb-suspended old male rats. Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, 32, 38-47.
- Gigliotti, J.C.,Huang, L., Chattrabhuti, K., Ye, H., Bajwa, A., Lee, S., Rosin, D.L., Klibanov, A., Kalantari, K., & Okusa, M.D. Ultrasound prevents renal ischemia-reperfusion injury by stimulating the splenic cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 24, 1451-1460.
- Gigliotti, J.C., Benedito, V., Livengood, R., Oldaker, C., Nanda, N., & Tou, J.C. Feeding different omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid sources influences renal fatty acid composition, inflammation, and occurrence of nephrocalcinosis in female Sprague-Dawley rats. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 4, 125-136.
- Kassis, N.M., Gigliotti, J.C., Beamer, S.K., Tou, J.C., & Jaczynski, J. Characterization of lipids and antioxidant capacity of novel nutraceutical egg products developed with omega-3 rich oils. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 92, 66-73.
- Physiological significance of diet
- Immunopathology of hypertension and kidney disease
- Tongue-ties and their impact on breastfeeding and speech development (Collaboration with Kristen Gigliotti, CCC-SLP)