R. James Swanson, PhD
Professor of Anatomy
Chair, Department of Anatomical Sciences
Phone: (434) 592-6733
- PhD, Florida State University
- MS, Florida State University
- BSN, Old Dominion University
- Reviewer for the Reproduction monthly journal
- Member of the American Association of Anatomists
- Member of the American Board of Bioanalysis
- Member of the Anatomical Society in Europe
- Has published over 70 refereed journal articles, over 125 conference papers, 15 book chapters, and co-edited two books
Dr. Swanson earned a BS (Wheaton College, ’67), a MS and PhD, (Florida State University, ’71 and ’76) a BSN, (Old Dominion University, ’85 with RN), and a HCLD, (American Board of Bioanalysis, ‘95); over the course of his studies and training. In addition to his current
status at the COM, he is also University Professor Emeritus and Biological Sciences Professor Emeritus at Old Dominion University, as well as, Adjunct Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Eastern Virginia Medical School.
Dr. Swanson was the past Director (1980-1996) of the Andrology Laboratory of the Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine. He has 46 years’ experience in teaching of physiology, endocrinology, gross human anatomy, and small animal surgery in the biological science. His research has been in reproductive physiology, bioelectrics and cancer.
He has participated in externally funded research totaling over $8M including DOD, NSF and several foundations. Dr. Swanson has graduated 15 PhD students with another six to finish in the near future, 47 MS students and has had 12 post-doctoral scholars from countries outside the USA collaborate on research while working in his laboratory. He has in turn enjoyed visiting and working with many of his peers in their laboratories.