AACOMAS Application Process
Learn more about the AACOMAS Application Process at the next LUCOM Open House.
LUCOM participates with other osteopathic colleges in a centralized application processing service called the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS). An application may be submitted online at: www.aacom.org or may be obtained by contacting:
5550 Friendship Boulevard, Suite 310
Chevy Chase, MD 20815-7231
To initiate the application process, applicants must apply directly to AACOMAS.
In the event of course work, completed at forgeign institutions, the applicant must submit official detailed course by course evaluations completed by an approved agency.
These agencies include:
- World Education Services, Inc., (212)966-6311
- AACRAO International Education Services, (202) 296-3359
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., (414) 289-3400
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., (305)273-1616
LUCOM applications will be accepted annually beginning in June of each year. The official AACOMAS application is available online at www.aacom.org. The deadline for LUCOM applicants is March 1, but is subject to change annually if the class is filled prior to that date. The last day for applicants to submit their Secondary Application and supporting materials is March 15.
Applications should be submitted prior to the end of December to have a realistic chance of gaining admission for the next academic year.
LUCOM Secondary Application Process
The secondary application for the admissions section for prospective students will be made available to those students who, after initial screening to ensure that minimum standards are met, are felt to advance the mission, vision and goals of LUCOM.
Applicants meeting these minimum requirements will receive an email containing login information for the secondary application. The secondary application is returned electronically along with the payment of a non-refundable application fee of $50, completion of the waiver/non-waiver statement, and submission of three required letters of recommendation.
A Letter of Recommendation is required from each of the following:
- A board-certified Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
- A science faculty member or pre-health advisor, or committee
- A pastor, outreach coordinator, employer, or allopathic physician (M.D.)
All letters of recommendation must be originals on professional or college/university letterhead, signed by the evaluator and submitted electronically through Liaison, Interfolio, or Virtual Eval. LUCOM will not accept letters from family members related by blood or through marriage.
Candidates will be required to acknowledge by signature their willingness to comply with the college’s technical standards, policies on attendance, dress code, participation in osteopathic teaching and education, student conduct and academic responsibility policies and the code of behavioral conduct and return the signed document with the secondary application.
Each applicant’s file is reviewed to determine eligibility for an interview, based on the established criteria of the Admissions Committee. If it is found to meet the standards and mission of the COM, an invitation may be extended to interview. Submission of a secondary application is not a guarantee of an interview.
As you complete the application, please take note of the following:
- The Secondary Application is JAVA-based. Please, be sure your Internet browser has the most up-to-date JAVA settings.
- Prolonged inactivity on any application page may result in timing-out, which may result in your work being lost. Review the questions and required documents listed above before starting the application.
- Important Note: You will not be able to save any work on the Secondary Application itself prior to or while completing the application. It is suggested you review the requested information first, then type and save your work into a Microsoft Word document. Once you have answered all of the questions, copy and paste your answers into the necessary fields on the Secondary Application.
- Should you experience any technical difficulty or unable to complete the Secondary Application; please contact the Liberty University HelpDesk by calling (434) 592-7800. You must have your new Liberty ID # available.
Interview Selection Process
To be considered for an on campus interview, an applicant must meet all the preceding admissions requirements and technical standards for admissions, have a complete file, including the AACOMAS application, a secondary application, a form/letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician, a recommendation form/letter from a premedical or pre-health committee, the waiver/non-waiver statement, and the processing fee.
Interviewing candidates are required to read and sign an acknowledgement that they:
- Meet the technical standards
- Comply with the statement for students of LUCOM regarding physical exposure in classroom activities;
- Comply with LUCOM’s attendance and dress code policy; and
- Comply with LUCOM’s code of student conduct/academic responsibility and code of behavioral conduct.
An interview is not a guarantee of admission to the college. An admissions decision is based on academic performance, professional experience, recommendations, personal statement and interview. Each applicant who interviews with LUCOM will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.