AACOMAS Application Process
LUCOM participates with other osteopathic colleges in a centralized application processing service called the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS). An application may be submitted online at: www.aacom.org or may be obtained by contacting:
5550 Friendship Boulevard, Suite 310
Chevy Chase, MD 20815-7231
To initiate the application process, applicants must apply directly to AACOMAS.
Applicants who have taken course work and/or have earned a degree from a foreign institution must also submit to AACOMAS a World Education Service (WES) evaluation of their transcripts.
LUCOM applications will be accepted annually beginning in June of each year. The official AACOMAS application is available online at www.aacom.org. The deadline for LUCOM applicants will be March 15, but is subject to change annually if the class is filled prior to that date. The last day for applicants to submit their Secondary Application and supporting materials will be April 15. That due date can also be moved to an earlier date if the class has already been filled prior to mid-April.
Applications should be submitted prior to the end of December to have a realistic chance of gaining admission for the next academic year.
LUCOM Secondary Application Process
The secondary application for the admissions section for prospective students will be made available to those students who, after initial screening to ensure that minimum standards are met, are felt to advance the mission, vision and goals of LUCOM.
Applicants meeting these minimum requirements will receive an email containing login information for the secondary application. The secondary application is returned electronically along with the payment of a non-refundable application fee of $50, completion of the waiver/non-waiver statement, and submission of three required letters of recommendation.
Three evaluation forms and/or letters of recommendation not written by a relative (by blood or through marriage) are required to complete the application for admission. One evaluation must be from an osteopathic physician (D.O.). A letter from an allopathic physician (M.D.), in lieu of a recommendation from an osteopathic physician, is not accepted; however, a letter(s) of recommendation from an allopathic physician(s) in addition to your evaluation form/letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician is welcomed. One of the other required evaluations must be from a premedical advisory committee or science faculty member familiar with the academic work of the applicant.
All letters of recommendation must be originals on professional or college/university letterhead, signed by the evaluator and submitted electronically through Liaison, Interfolio, or Virtual Eval.
Candidates will be required to acknowledge by signature their willingness to comply with the college’s technical standards, policies on attendance, dress code, participation in osteopathic teaching and education, student conduct and academic responsibility policies and the code of behavioral conduct and return the signed document with the secondary application.
Each applicant’s file is reviewed to determine eligibility for an interview, based on the established criteria of the Admissions Committee. If it is found to meet the standards and mission of the COM, an invitation may be extended to interview. Submission of a secondary application is not a guarantee of an interview.
As you complete the application, please take note of the following:
- The Secondary Application is JAVA-based. Please, be sure your Internet browser has the most up-to-date JAVA settings.
- Prolonged inactivity on any application page may result in timing-out, which may result in your work being lost. Review the questions and required documents listed above before starting the application.
- Important Note: You will not be able to save any work on the Secondary Application itself prior to or while completing the application. It is suggested you review the requested information first, then type and save your work into a Microsoft Word document. Once you have answered all of the questions, copy and paste your answers into the necessary fields on the Secondary Application.
- Should you experience any technical difficulty or unable to complete the Secondary Application; please contact the Liberty University HelpDesk by calling (434) 592-7800. You must have your new Liberty ID # available.
Interview Selection Process
To be considered for an on campus interview, an applicant must meet all the preceding admissions requirements and technical standards for admissions, have a complete file, including the AACOMAS application, a secondary application, a form/letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician, a recommendation form/letter from a premedical or pre-health committee, the waiver/non-waiver statement, and the processing fee.
Interviewing candidates are required to read and sign an acknowledgement that they:
- Meet the technical standards
- Comply with the statement for students of LUCOM regarding physical exposure in classroom activities;
- Comply with LUCOM’s attendance and dress code policy; and
- Comply with LUCOM’s code of student conduct/academic responsibility and code of behavioral conduct.
An interview is not a guarantee of admission to the college. An admissions decision is based on academic performance, professional experience, recommendations, personal statement and interview. Each applicant who interviews with LUCOM will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.