Associate Professor of OMM; Community-based Specialist, ONMM; Residency Program Director
- DO, University of New England, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Biddeford, Maine
- BS, Biomedical Sciences, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO)
- American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Lynchburg Academy of Medicine (LAM)
- Osteopathic Cranial Academy (OCA)
- Virginia Osteopathic Medical Association (VOMA)
A 2005 graduate of the University of New England’s College of Osteopathic Medicine, Dr. Joy Palmer has engaged in academic medicine her whole career. She has served as clinical faculty in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education for Via COM-Virginia, University of New England COM and is currently the Program Director of the ONMM Residency program at Liberty University. She also serves as ONMM Specialty Lead with Liberty Mountain Medical Group in Lynchburg, Va. Dr. Palmer was in private practice in southern Maine prior to her move to Lynchburg in 2020. She is board certified in Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine by the American Osteopathic Board of Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine.
A native of northern Maine, Dr. Palmer came to LUCOM and Liberty Mountain Medical Group bringing a love of working with people and of teaching physician residents the specialty of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine. Her undergraduate program at Marquette University planted the seeds for working with her hands and the importance of educating patients. Dr. Palmer’s Osteopathic medical education and training instilled a passion for discovering the health in patients, that place where healing and growth are centered. She is passionate about Osteopathy — practice, philosophy, and education. She resides in Lynchburg with her beautiful family, enjoying the splendor of the Blue Ridge and the amazing work she gets to be a part of.
- Outcomes-based clinical research assessing the benefit of osteopathic manipulation
- How curriculum development in a residency training program impacts career direction