Assistant Dean for Clinical Education; Chair, Department of Internal Medicine; Associate Professor of Neurology
- DO, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- MSc, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- BS, Gannon University
- Geriatrics & End of Life – GERI
- Hematology/Oncology – HO
- Neurology/Psychiatry/Ophthalmology – NPO
- OMS-III, Internal Medicine
- Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine – OMM
- Patient-Centered Medicine – PCM
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- American College of Osteopathic Neurologists and Psychiatrists (ACONP)
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
- American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Christian Medical and Dental Association (CMDA)
- Medical Society of Virginia (MSV)
- Virginia Neurological Society (VNS)
- Virginia Osteopathic Medical Association (VOMA)
Dr. Hoegerl serves as chair and associate professor of neurology in the department of internal medicine. After graduating from Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, he completed his internship at Geisinger Medical Center followed by residency training at Guthrie/Robert Packer Hospital and Stony Brook University Hospital. Dr. Hoegerl joined LUCOM after serving as the director of a Multiple Sclerosis center in Pennsylvania.
Dr. Hoegerl continues to run a part-time clinical practice near Lynchburg. His clinical interests are in stroke and multiple sclerosis and he continues to participate in research in these areas. He has a tremendous love for teaching the medical students especially in integrating technology in education. Over the past year he has been a health policy fellow for the AACOM Osteopathic Health Policy Fellowship.
- Hao J, Pitcavage J, Jones J, Hoegerl C, Graham J. Measuring Adherence and Outcomes in the Treatment of Patients With Multiple Sclerosis. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2017;117:737-47.
- Hoegerl C. Landmark Article Supports Osteopathic Medicine. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2015;115:646.
- Hoegerl C, Want J, McKenzie L, Cybulski GR. Engaging doctors in the health care revolution:: Interaction. Harvard business review 2014;92:5.
- Haagensen J, Hoegerl C. Digoxin as a Treatment for Patients With Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2014;114:213-5.
- Lanciano NJ, Lyu DS, Hoegerl C. High-dose steroid treatment in a patient with Balo disease diagnosed by means of magnetic resonance imaging. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2011;111:170-2.
- Hoegerl C, Goldstein FJ, Sartorius J. Implementation of a stroke alert protocol in the emergency department: a pilot study. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2011;111:21-7.
- Hoegerl C. Andrew’s Gift: Lulu.com; 2011. Book
- Hoegerl C, John S. E-learning in medical education. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2010;110:193.
- Hoegerl C, Goldstein F, John S. Evaluation of a Stroke Alert Protocol Coupled with an Education Program in the Emergency Department. NEUROLOGY; 2010: LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS 530 WALNUT ST, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106-3621 USA. p. A26-A.
- John S, Hoegerl C. Nutritional deficiencies after gastric bypass surgery. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2009;109:601-4.
- Hoegerl C. Discrimination against DOs alive and well. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2009;109:654.
- Hoegerl C, Zboray S. Pathological laughter in a patient with multiple sclerosis. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2008;108:408-10.
- Hoegerl C, Baran M. The impact of a stroke education program on the knowledge and treatment of stroke patients by emergency medicine residents. NEUROLOGY; 2008: LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS TWO COMMERCE SQ, 2001 MARKET ST, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103 USA. p. A11-A.
- Hoegerl C. Neurology Localization: Lulu.com; 2008. Book
- Anschel DJ, Aherne A, Soto RG, et al. Successful intraoperative spinal cord monitoring during scoliosis surgery using a total intravenous anesthetic regimen including dexmedetomidine. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology 2008;25:56-61.
- Aherne A, Anschel D, Soto R, Nori P, Hoegerl C, Seidman P. The impact of dexmedetomidine on intraoperative monitoring during scoliosis surgery: A case series review. NEUROLOGY; 2007: LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS 530 WALNUT ST, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106-3621 USA. p. A73-A4.
- Hoegerl C. Navigation in neurologic localization: web site launch. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2006;106:5.
- Hoegerl C. Kudos on electronic-only COMLEX-USA. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2005;105:124.
- Hoegerl C. Teacher, heal thyself. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2005;105:426-7.
- Hoegerl C. A Note About the World Wide Web. Bios 1996:29-.
- Multiple Sclerosis