Chair, Dept. of Internal Medicine; Professor of Neurology; Clerkship Director
- DO, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- MSc, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- BS, Gannon University
- Geriatrics & End of Life – GERI
- Hematology/Oncology – HO
- Neurology/Psychiatry/Ophthalmology – NPO
- OMS-III, Internal Medicine
- Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine – OMM
- Patient-Centered Medicine – PCM
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- American College of Osteopathic Neurologists and Psychiatrists (ACONP)
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
- American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Christian Medical and Dental Association (CMDA)
- Medical Society of Virginia (MSV)
- Virginia Neurological Society (VNS)
- Virginia Osteopathic Medical Association (VOMA)
After graduating from Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Dr. Hoegerl completed his internship at Geisinger Medical Center followed by residency training at Guthrie/Robert Packer Hospital and Stony Brook University Hospital. Dr. Hoegerl joined LUCOM after serving as the director of a Multiple Sclerosis center in Pennsylvania.
Dr. Hoegerl continues to run a part-time clinical practice near Lynchburg. His clinical interests are in stroke and multiple sclerosis and he continues to participate in research in these areas. He has a tremendous love for teaching the medical students especially in integrating technology in education. Over the past year he has been a health policy fellow for the AACOM Osteopathic Health Policy Fellowship.
- Hao J, Pitcavage J, Jones J, Hoegerl C, Graham J. Measuring Adherence and Outcomes in the Treatment of Patients With Multiple Sclerosis. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2017;117:737-47.
- Hoegerl C. Landmark Article Supports Osteopathic Medicine. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2015;115:646.
- Hoegerl C, Want J, McKenzie L, Cybulski GR. Engaging doctors in the health care revolution:: Interaction. Harvard business review 2014;92:5.
- Haagensen J, Hoegerl C. Digoxin as a Treatment for Patients With Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2014;114:213-5.
- Lanciano NJ, Lyu DS, Hoegerl C. High-dose steroid treatment in a patient with Balo disease diagnosed by means of magnetic resonance imaging. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2011;111:170-2.
- Hoegerl C, Goldstein FJ, Sartorius J. Implementation of a stroke alert protocol in the emergency department: a pilot study. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2011;111:21-7.
- Hoegerl C. Andrew’s Gift: Lulu.com; 2011. Book
- Hoegerl C, John S. E-learning in medical education. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2010;110:193.
- Hoegerl C, Goldstein F, John S. Evaluation of a Stroke Alert Protocol Coupled with an Education Program in the Emergency Department. NEUROLOGY; 2010: LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS 530 WALNUT ST, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106-3621 USA. p. A26-A.
- John S, Hoegerl C. Nutritional deficiencies after gastric bypass surgery. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2009;109:601-4.
- Hoegerl C. Discrimination against DOs alive and well. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2009;109:654.
- Hoegerl C, Zboray S. Pathological laughter in a patient with multiple sclerosis. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2008;108:408-10.
- Hoegerl C, Baran M. The impact of a stroke education program on the knowledge and treatment of stroke patients by emergency medicine residents. NEUROLOGY; 2008: LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS TWO COMMERCE SQ, 2001 MARKET ST, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103 USA. p. A11-A.
- Hoegerl C. Neurology Localization: Lulu.com; 2008. Book
- Anschel DJ, Aherne A, Soto RG, et al. Successful intraoperative spinal cord monitoring during scoliosis surgery using a total intravenous anesthetic regimen including dexmedetomidine. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology 2008;25:56-61.
- Aherne A, Anschel D, Soto R, Nori P, Hoegerl C, Seidman P. The impact of dexmedetomidine on intraoperative monitoring during scoliosis surgery: A case series review. NEUROLOGY; 2007: LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS 530 WALNUT ST, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106-3621 USA. p. A73-A4.
- Hoegerl C. Navigation in neurologic localization: web site launch. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2006;106:5.
- Hoegerl C. Kudos on electronic-only COMLEX-USA. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2005;105:124.
- Hoegerl C. Teacher, heal thyself. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 2005;105:426-7.
- Hoegerl C. A Note About the World Wide Web. Bios 1996:29-.
- Multiple Sclerosis