Frequently Asked Questions
What is Microsoft 365?
- Microsoft 365 is a cloud-based productivity tool that integrates all of the features you need to collaborate. As a student or employee of Liberty University, you may receive this subscription. It includes the Microsoft 365 Suite, 50 GB of email, unlimited storage space in OneDrive, and more!
What features are included in Microsoft 365?
- Downloadable Apps
- Web Apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote)
- Unlimited storage space (OneDrive)
- Online Webmail (Outlook)
Can I edit files on my mobile device?
- Yes, in order to create and edit files on your mobile device, you will need to sign into your Microsoft 365 account using your Liberty University email.
How secure is the information that is sent or stored through Microsoft 365?
- To answer simply, very secure. Microsoft utilizes multiple levels of physical and digital security that leverages all forms of technology available. Microsoft 365 runs on Microsoft-owned servers that are protected by built-in antivirus and anti-spam filters. Additionally, any of your files that are housed in OneDrive are encrypted en route and at rest.
Will my personal Microsoft 365 subscription interfere with my Liberty University subscription?
- Your personal Microsoft 365 subscription won’t interfere with your ability to utilize the subscription that Liberty University has provided. Most of the Microsoft 365 apps on your mobile devices will give you the option to choose what account you want to use for that session.
Will we automatically get the software updates when Microsoft releases them?
- Yes, Microsoft pushes out the same changes to everyone at the same time for software updates, including any new releases. Microsoft has their Microsoft 365 roadmap posted to show what’s launched, in development, or rolling out currently.
If I graduate or leave Liberty University, what happens to my subscription and files?
Students & Alumni
- If you graduate, your alumni status will grant you lifelong access to your Liberty University email account.
- Your account will remain accessible as long as you log in once every 4 years.
- If your account is disabled after 4 years of inactivity, you may reclaim your account.
- Your access to OneDrive and the Microsoft 365 product suite will expire 1 semester after your last course. You will be able to keep your OneDrive contents if you manually obtain a Microsoft 365 subscription.
Faculty & Staff
- Your access to email, Microsoft 365, and OneDrive will expire the day you leave your status as Faculty or Staff. If you were previously a student at Liberty University, you will be able to keep your email account. Like students, you can retain your software subscription and OneDrive contents if you manually obtain an Office ProPlus subscription.
- Students & Alumni
- Will I notice anything different in Outlook after upgrading to Microsoft 365?
- What happens to shared email/calendar access after I am upgraded to Microsoft 365?
Will I be able to increase the size of my mailbox if I reach the 50 GB limit?
- If your Microsoft 365 email inbox nears the 50 GB limit, you’ll be notified and can expand it at that time.
Is there a reason why email on my mobile device hasn't been working properly since switching to Microsoft 365?
- Yes, all mobile devices will need to remove their email profile and then re-add it again with the new Microsoft 365 settings. Follow the Accessing Liberty University Email Guide for these steps.
I have been storing an Outlook archive in the form of .pst files. Will I be able to use these in Microsoft 365?
- Now that you have 50 GB of space, importing your .pst files into Microsoft 365 will give you all of your emails in one place. One of our IT HelpDesk technicians would be happy to perform this transfer for you. Feel free to reach out to us via phone, chat, or any one of our campus locations.
Are there any restrictions on what I can put in OneDrive?
- Information at Liberty University is categorized into 4 separate areas (Reference PG0022 Data Classification Policy for more details).
OneDrive usage should be limited to “Internal Only” and “Public”:
- Restricted – Credit Card, Health Care Information
- Limited Access – FERPA, SSN
- Internal Only – General correspondence and e-mails, FERPA directory information
- Public – General university announcements, public policies and University points of contact information
- While OneDrive grants unlimited storage space, file uploads into OneDrive cannot exceed 250 GB.
Will I be able to retrieve a file if I accidentally delete it in OneDrive like I could in my Molly?
- Yes, you have 30 days from the moment of deletion to retrieve your deleted file. You must submit a request for retrieval through the IT HelpDesk.