Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The following is a list of frequently asked questions about Office 365 subscriptions that are provided to students, faculty, and staff. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to us.
What is Office 365?
Office 365 is a cloud-based productivity tool that integrates all of the features you need to collaborate with your team. As a student or employee of Liberty University, you may receive this subscription. It includes the Microsoft Office Suite, 50 GB of email, unlimited storage space in OneDrive, and more!
What features are included in Office 365?
An Office 365 subscription includes:
- Microsoft Office
- Office Online (Online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote)
- Unlimited storage space in OneDrive
Can I edit files on my mobile device?
- Yes, in order to edit files on your mobile device, you will need to sign up for the Office in Education license.
How secure is the information that is sent or stored through Office 365?
To answer simply, very secure. Microsoft utilizes multiple levels of physical and digital security that leverages all forms of technology available. Office 365 runs on Microsoft-owned servers that are protected by built-in antivirus and anti-spam filters. Additionally, any of your files that are housed in OneDrive are encrypted en route and at rest.
Will my personal Office 365 subscription interfere with my Liberty subscription?
Your personal Office 365 subscription won’t interfere with your ability to utilize the subscription that Liberty has provided. Most of the Office 365 apps on your mobile devices will give you the option to choose what account you want to use for that session.
Will we automatically get the software updates when Microsoft releases them?
Yes, Microsoft pushes out the same changes to everyone at the same time for software updates, including any new releases. Microsoft has their Office 365 roadmap posted to show what’s launched, in development, or rolling out currently.
If I graduate or leave Liberty, what happens to my subscription and files?
Students and Alumni
- If you graduate, your alumni status will grant you lifelong access to your Liberty email account. However, your access to OneDrive and the Microsoft Office product suite will expire 1 semester after your last course. You will be able to keep your OneDrive contents if you manually obtain an Office ProPlus subscription.
- Your access to email, Microsoft Office, and OneDrive will expire the day you leave your status as Faculty or Staff. If you graduated from Liberty, you will be able to keep your lifelong email account. Like students, you can also retain your software subscription and OneDrive contents if you manually obtain an Office ProPlus subscription.
Will I notice anything different in Outlook after upgrading to Office 365?
- The day of your switch, you will have to close and reopen Outlook to complete the upgrade to Office 365. If you're experiencing any issues, try re-applying your profile or contacting the HelpDesk for further assistance.
What happens to shared email/calendar access after I am upgraded to Office 365?
- There should be no disruption for any email or calendar with shared access. If you’re experiencing any issues, try adding the account again or contacting the HelpDesk for further assistance.
Will I be able to increase the size of my mailbox if I reach the 50 GB limit?
If your Office 365 email inbox nears the 50 GB limit, you’ll be notified and can expand it at that time.
Is there a reason why email on my mobile device hasn't been working properly since switching to Office 365?
Yes, all mobile devices will need to remove their email profile then re-add it again with the new Office 365 settings. To re-add after removing, follow the steps below:
I have been storing an Outlook archive in the form of .pst files. Will I be able to use these in Office 365?
Now that you have 50 GB of space, importing your .pst files into Office 365 will give you all of your emails in one place. One of our HelpDesk technicians would be happy to perform this transfer for you. Feel free to reach out to us via phone, chat, or any one of our campus locations.
Are there any restrictions on what I can put in OneDrive?
- Information at Liberty University is categorized into 4 separate areas (Reference PG0022 Data Classification Policy for more details). OneDrive usage should be limited to “Internal Only” and “Public:”
- Restricted – Credit Card, Health Care Information
- Limited Access – FERPA, SSN
- Internal Only – general correspondence and e-mails, FERPA directory information
- Public – general university announcements, public policies and University points of contact information
- While OneDrive grants unlimited storage space, file uploads into OneDrive cannot exceed 2 GB.
Will I be able to retrieve a file if I accidentally delete it in OneDrive like I could in my Molly?
Yes, you have 30 days from the moment of deletion at the moment you can no longer retrieve your item. You must submit a request for retrieval through the HelpDesk.