Missions Scholarships and Programs
One of the primary ways Liberty University supports the work of missionary families around the world is by offering tuition assistance to their children. Aid is offered to the children of missionaries serving with Liberty-approved mission agencies.
Missionary Kid Scholarship
The Missionary Kid Scholarship (MK Scholarship), established for new students beginning enrollment in the spring 2015 semester or later, is available exclusively for children of missionaries. College-age children enrolling at Liberty University may apply for the MK Scholarship if their parents are currently serving on a foreign mission field outside of the United States with a Liberty approved organization.
To be eligible:
- You must be a U.S. citizen or legally adopted, eligible non-citizen
- Must be a new resident undergraduate full-time consecutively enrolled degree seeking student
- You must apply for standard aid through the FAFSA and VTAG application as applicable
- Maintain full-time consecutive enrollment
- Maintain Financial Aid satisfactory academic progress
- Must be a “dependent” under 24 years old
- Student’s parent/s must be serving full-time on a foreign mission field, not in the United States, (or on an approved furlough of 1 year or less) in good standing with an approved, participating agency.
- Recipients must complete an application authorizing Liberty to confirm the missionary parent/s status in subsequent years and will be reviewed annually for continued eligible status of the MK Scholarship.
Items to note:
- The MK Scholarship is awarded to a limited number of students and is highly competitive
- You are required to live on campus all four years of enrollment.
- Recipients must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 each semester while attending Liberty University in order to continue to receive the MK Scholarship.
- Recipients of the MK Scholarship are expected to contribute spiritually, academically, and missionally, through fellowship, and conduct themselves in a way which is aligned with the Code of Conduct. This includes mandatory participation in the MK Scholars program through attending MK Connect Class and developmental activities, attendance and involvement in Campus Community, and proactively serving in various opportunities through the Office of Spiritual Development.
- Funding provided to you by your missions organization does not take away from your MK Scholarship award
- Financial Aid awards and outside aid could affect how much you receive
- You can receive the missionary scholarship and use New Student Book Dollars
- Recipients must remain in good standing with the University
Under the MK Scholarship, Liberty will provide a partial or full-tuition scholarship per academic year (less other federal, state, and Liberty institutional gift assistance; room, board and fees are not included) disbursed over the four consecutive years of your bachelor’s degree. Award amounts are determined after considering the applicant’s academic merit, financial need, and essay response.
The Fall 2024 MK Scholarship Application is now open, and the submission deadline is January 26, 2024. If you are interested in applying for the Fall MK Scholarship in the future, be sure to connect with your agency first to verify that your sending agency is pre-qualified. Contact email@example.com for additional questions about eligibility requirements.
Apply to be an Approved Organization
Evangelical mission sending organizations meeting the theological and financial accountability standards set forth by Liberty may apply to be part of this program by submitting an application. Organizational applications are evaluated and approved on a regular basis, usually it takes 3-6 months until a decision is made. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive more information and an application.
2024-2025 Calendar Selection Process
- October 1, 2023 | MK Scholarship Application is Live
- January 26, 2024 | Application and Agency Letter Deadline
- January 29, 2024 – February 9, 2024 | Application Reviews by MK Scholarship Committee
- February 19, 2024 – March 1, 2024 | Interviews
- March 8, 2024 | Award Applicants
- March 18, 2024 | Contract Signing
LU Serve Loan Repayment Program
The LU Serve Loan Repayment Program is intended for Liberty University Resident or Online alumnus who are serving or intend to serve outside of the United States after graduation with an approved Liberty University organization. Applicants must be a graduate of Liberty University or Liberty University Online programs. Current students are eligible to apply during their final semester before graduation. The Loan Repayment Program is receiving new applications, and if you would like more details or would like to apply, please click here.
International Mission Board IMB Discount (LU Online)
Liberty University Online provides a tuition discount program for Liberty graduates who are enrolled in the online Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) program and who have Journeyman status with the IMB. This program provides 100% tuition to eligible students. Students are responsible to pay for the $50 administrative fee. For more details, please visit www.liberty.edu/scholarships.