Missions Scholarships and Programs
One of the primary ways Liberty University supports the work of missionary families around the world is by offering tuition assistance to their children. Aid is offered to the children of missionaries serving with Liberty-approved mission agencies.
The Missionary Kid Scholarship (MK Scholarship), established for new students beginning enrollment in the spring 2015 semester or later, is available exclusively for children of missionaries. College-age children enrolling at Liberty University may apply for the MK Scholarship if their parents are currently serving on a foreign mission field outside of the United States with a Liberty approved organization.
To be eligible:
- You must be a U.S. citizen or legally adopted, eligible non-citizen
- Be a new undergraduate resident student beginning first-time enrollment and seeking a four year degree
- Must be accepted to Liberty University prior to January 29, 2021
- You must apply for standard aid through the FAFSA and VTAG application as applicable
- Maintain full-time consecutive enrollment
- Maintain Financial Aid satisfactory academic progress
- Must be a “dependent” under 24 years old
- Student’s parent/s must be serving full-time on a foreign mission field, not in the United States, (or on an approved furlough of 1 year or less) in good standing with an approved, participating agency.
- Recipients must complete an application authorizing Liberty to confirm the missionary parent/s status in subsequent years and will be reviewed annually for continued eligible status of the MK Scholarship.
- Must submit an official signed letter from the mission agency confirming the missionary status and field placement by the deadline of January 29, 2021
Items to note:
- The MK Scholarship is awarded to a limited number of students and is highly competitive
- You are required to live on campus all four years of enrollment.
- Recipients must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 each semester while attending Liberty University in order to continue to receive the MK Scholarship.
- Recipients of the MK Scholarship are expected to contribute spiritually, academically, and missionally, through fellowship, and conduct themselves in a way which is aligned with the Code of Conduct. This includes mandatory participation in the MK Scholars program through attending MK Connect Class and developmental activities, attendance and involvement in Campus Community, and proactively serving in various opportunities through the Office of Spiritual Development.
- Funding provided to you by your missions organization does not take away from your MK Scholarship award
- Financial Aid awards and outside aid could affect how much you receive
- You can receive the missionary scholarship and use New Student Book Dollars
- Recipients must remain in good standing with the University
Under the MK Scholarship, Liberty will provide a full-tuition scholarship per academic year (less other federal, state, and Liberty institutional gift assistance; room, board and fees are not included) disbursed over the four consecutive years of your bachelor’s degree. Award amounts are determined after considering the applicant’s academic merit, financial need, and essay response.
The Fall 2021 MK Scholarship application is now available for completion. To submit an application for the Fall 2021 MK Scholarship, connect with your agency first to verify that your sending agency is pre-qualified. Contact email@example.com for additional questions about eligibility requirements. The application deadline for the Fall 2021 MK Scholarship Application is January 29, 2021.
Apply to be an Approved Organization
Evangelical mission sending organizations meeting the theological and financial accountability standards set forth by Liberty may apply to be part of this program by submitting an application. Organizational applications are evaluated and approved on a regular basis, usually it takes 3-6 months until a decision is made. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive more information and an application.
2020-2021 Calendar Selection Process
- October 1, 2020 | MK Scholarship Application is Live
- January 29, 2021 | Application and Agency Letter Deadline
- February 1, 2021 – February 12, 2021 | Application Reviews by MK Scholarship Committee/First Round
- February 15, 2021 – February 26, 2021 | Interviews
- March 5, 2021 | Award Applicants
- March 12, 2021 | Contract Signing
LU Serve International Loan Repayment Program
The Loan Repayment Program is an effort to partner with student-professionals who intend on working and serving internationally, long-term after graduation. From vocational ministry work efforts or serving in humanitarian aid to utilizing their job skill set to gain access to difficult places – Liberty University seeks to partner with graduates everywhere in order to spread the Gospel through a variety of means. It is our hope to empower students with vision, inspire with passion, and to equip with skills that enable the use of their degree for service to the world.
Any Liberty University alumnus who intends on serving overseas is welcome to apply, but applicants are encouraged to use this opportunity to focus their service on an unreached/unengaged people group, difficult or unique access places, service within the 10/40 window, or among the least-reached populations from the 10/40 window.
This program designates the repayment total that will be covered on the student loans, but the monies will be disbursed 20% per year for 5 years until the committed balance is completed. If at any point the applicant leaves the field prior to the 5 years all funds committed will be relinquished. For those graduates who meet the program’s qualifications and are approved, payments will begin as soon as they are on the field.
Applicants are considered twice a year by LU Serve International before recommendations are made to the University’s Enrollment Management division for a compliance review and final approval. The review requires that students not be delinquent or in default on any federal student loans and that they keep consistent communication as we reach out throughout the year with updates, encouragements, and requests.
If you would like to receive an application contact LU Serve International via email at LoanRepayment@Liberty.edu.
International Mission Board IMB Discount (LU Online)
Liberty University Online provides a tuition discount program for Liberty graduates who are enrolled in the online Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) program and who have Journeyman status with the IMB. This program provides 100% tuition to eligible students. Students are responsible to pay for the $50 administrative fee. For more details, please visit www.liberty.edu/scholarships.