Types of Requests
Residential students and staff (as well as online students, faculty, and staff who live close to campus) can request the following items through Interlibrary Loan (ILL):
- Electronic delivery of print articles in our collection
- Books, book chapters, journal articles, and other materials not available at the Jerry Falwell Library (Please note that we will not borrow textbooks.)
- Items from the Center for Research Libraries
For the fastest service, please use the search box at the top of this page to see if we have a copy of the item before placing a request.
Making a Request
- The Get it at Liberty link shown below is found within databases and connects to the ILL account platform, ILLiad.
- Once you are logged into ILLiad, choose the request form, and click submit.
- When requesting an item without a database link, you will need to log in to ILLiad.
- Before submitting an article request through ILLiad, search Journals by Name to see if there is immediate full-text access online.
- Before submitting a book request through ILLiad, use the search box at the top of this page to see if an e-book version is available for immediate full-text access online. If you only need a chapter from a book that is not available at JFL, we can request a scan of those pages from another library for you. (Please note that copyright restrictions will apply to scanned portions of print books.)
- Fill out the request form and click submit.
- While there are no limits to the number of ILL requests that you may submit, due to workload demands and time constraints, the processing of some requests may be delayed.
- Renewals are subject to approval by the lending library. To request a renewal, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 434-582-2442 prior to the due date printed on the front label.
If you find that you need to cancel a request, log into your ILLiad account and follow these steps:
- Under the View menu on the left, select Outstanding Requests.
- Click on the Transaction Number of the request.
- Click Cancel Request at the top of the page.
You will receive an email notifying you when your items are available, which will typically be between 2 days and 2 weeks. The delivery time depends on the availability of the item, how quickly the lending libraries process our requests, and the speed of postal delivery. Incomplete or inaccurate requests which require more research may be delayed.
- Articles and chapters are accessed online through your ILLiad account. Please print or download these since they will expire from your ILLiad account after 30 days.
- Non-article materials must be picked up and returned at the Customer Service Center in the library.
In order to avoid fines for ILL items, return them on time in the same condition as when they were received.
- Overdue ILL items—$1/day per item
- Removal of ILL label–$2/per item
- Requested returnable items not picked up at the library–$5/item
- Lost or damaged items–Subject to fines determined by the lending library
Questions? Contact the Interlibrary Loan Office at 434-582-2442 or email@example.com.