Doctor of Philosophy in Criminal Justice
Be a Leader in the Criminal Justice Field with a Ph.D. in Criminal Justice from Liberty University
If you are an experienced law enforcement professional, Liberty’s online Ph.D. in Criminal Justice can prepare you for senior leadership roles in criminal justice organizations at all levels of government. Through advanced research and analysis of criminal justice practices, you will learn how to assess and improve government and law enforcement organizations while mastering techniques in teaching and leadership. With training from experienced criminal justice scholars founded in a Christian worldview, Liberty’s Ph.D. in Criminal Justice can provide you with biblically-based training to lead effectively in your field with integrity.
With our general track and specializations in homeland security and leadership, you can diversify your opportunities for career advancement. You will be taught by professors who integrate biblical values into each course, providing a well-rounded education based on the principle of integrity, which is highly regarded in the field of criminal justice.
What Will You Learn in the Ph.D. in Criminal Justice Online Degree?
- Transnational organized crime
- Advanced topics in terrorism and intelligence
- Criminal justice organizational conflict
- Stress management in criminal justice
Our flexible and affordable Ph.D. in Criminal Justice offers a general track as well as two specializations: homeland security and leadership. The core courses within the program provide training in crime causation, international crime rings, advanced juvenile justice and corrections policy, and terrorism.
- Our homeland security specialization provides advanced training in cybersecurity, counterterrorism, and counterintelligence strategies.
- Our leadership specialization provides an advanced study of criminal justice leadership techniques, strategic planning, and advanced HR development.
Potential Career Options
- Administration/management (federal, state, or local)
- Administrator (department chair, dean, chancellor)
- Crime scene investigation unit manager
- Criminal investigator
- Forensics investigator
- Police chief
- Polygraph examiner/operator
- Prison warden
- Writer (textbooks, criminal justice theory)
Benefits of Earning Our Ph.D. in Criminal Justice Online
As a leader in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to create a flexible and affordable education for busy people. Since we have been investing in distance and online learning for decades, our experience has taught us how to streamline our degree options so you can focus on what really matters to you. While many schools offer online degrees, we believe Liberty stands out.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online Ph.D. in Criminal Justice degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete your Ph.D. in Criminal Justice degree online in under 3 years!
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Here’s how:
- If you’re earning or have earned a master’s degree through Liberty, you automatically qualify for the low price (when you begin within 2 years of your master’s completion).
- If you haven’t earned a graduate degree through Liberty, our Executive Certificate program allows you to pay only $300/credit hour for a postgraduate certificate that can stand alone or potentially count as the first 21 hours of a related doctoral degree. Then pay just $300/credit hour for your doctorate. Learn more!
100% online, 8-week courses
Transfer in up to 50% of the degree total
Next Start Date
Aug 22, 2022
Liberty University is accredited by SACSCOC
Experience That Matters to You
As an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Virginia, Liberty University offers you an education that is both academically challenging and rooted in a biblical worldview.
At Liberty, you’ll benefit from 35+ years of learning, growing, adapting, and innovating for the distance learner — and more than a decade of researching the needs of the online student. You can be confident that we’ve taken the time to learn what’s important to you.
And what’s that?
- Academic Quality
These important factors challenged us to find new financial solutions, get ahead of industry trends, and blaze trails into cutting-edge career fields — and it’s paid off. That’s the difference experience makes.
We are widely recognized as a top university for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
Why Choose Liberty University?
Enjoy Flexible Courses
Choose from a wide variety of programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level, most of which are 100% online*. With an 8-week format and 8 start dates per year, it’s easy to fit your courses around your schedule!
* excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Maximize Your Time
Start and finish your degree faster! Liberty requires no standardized testing for admission, and you can transfer previous course credit — transfer in up to 75% of a bachelor’s degree and up to 50% of a master’s, postgraduate, or doctoral degree — or discover how your life, career, or military experience may count toward your college degree.
Grow in Your Faith
All of our courses are taught from a Christian perspective, and our faculty see themselves as mentors. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — we’re committed to championing you as you study to go further in your field, become a leader in your industry, or start a new career.
Access Academic Support
Throughout your educational journey, you will have access to academic resources that will aid in the completion of your degree. Services include our online library, writing center, tutoring, study aids, IT assistance, 30+ tutorial videos, live webinars, and personalized help from our academic advising team.
An Online Education with On-Campus Benefits
Cheer on 20 NCAA Division I
games that air nationwide
Graduate with your peers
Be inspired by world-renowned
speakers at Convocation
As a nonprofit (not-for-profit) university, Liberty is in the business of training skilled professionals to make a difference in the world – not gaining profit, revenue, or producing dividends for shareholders. In keeping with our commitment to your education, we invest our resources back into degree programs and into your student experience.
While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university and has not increased tuition for 7 straight years. Lower tuition means less student loan debt for students.
For Liberty University, nonprofit is more than a status; it is a valuable opportunity to invest in the lives of students who will go out and impact the world.
Nearly 80% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. Virginia residents may qualify for additional aid — learn more!
Corporate Tuition Assistance
Deferred – If your company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you pay only a portion of your balance up front. You submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay the remaining balance for your classes.
Qualified military service members, veterans, and their spouses can receive up to 55% off their tuition rate for eligible programs!
Contact one of our Admissions Counselors for more information by calling (800) 424-9595.