How to Apply
Apply to the Liberty University School of Music
1. Apply for Admission to Liberty University
- The LU School of Music (SOM) does not require a separate application process from general admission.
2. Declare Your Music Major
3. Complete a School of Music Placement Audition
Each incoming School of Music student must complete a Placement Audition.
- Placement Auditions are designed for our faculty to get to know you and your musicianship. Based upon your audition, our faculty will place you in the appropriate studio for your applied lessons.
- Placement Audition criteria are based upon your declared music major.
- Placement Auditions may also qualify students for Scholarship consideration.
4. Register for Classes
- It’s time to select your courses! The CASAS Advisor for the School of Music will be able to assist you in choosing which classes to take.
5. Complete Theory Placement Test
- The CASAS Advisor for the School of Music will advise immediate enrollment in MUSC 105, Harmonic Practices and Theory I. Incoming students will be contacted about taking the online Music Theory Placement Test after registering for this course. This test will automatically appear on your Blackboard account.
Exceptions to this rule:
- A.P. Music Theory: Incoming students who received a composite score of 4 or above on the Music Theory Advanced Placement (A.P.) Test are automatically eligible for the Advanced Section of MUSC 105 and do not need to complete the Theory Placement Test. The CASAS Advisor for the School of Music will ensure you are registered for the appropriate course.
- Transfer Students: Students transferring from music programs at other colleges or universities should first visit the LU Transfer Office for instructions on how to proceed with the transfer process.
- Once this process is completed, transfer students must complete the Transfer Student Theory Test to determine music theory placement. Students may take this test between the hours of 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. in the Center for Music and the Worship Arts. If you are unable to take the test in person, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.