LUO Military Tuition Discount
Qualified online military students and military spouses (as defined by Liberty University) are eligible to receive a discount on the cost of tuition upon submission of qualifying military documentation. Additionally, online students who are on Active Duty, Reserve, or National Guard status, may be eligible to have the $299 technology fee waived. Beginning with the Fall 2023 semester, the Technology Fee will not be waived for new military students. Returning students who were receiving the waiver will continue to do so, as long as they are meeting all other eligibility requirements.
Undergraduate: For undergraduate programs (Certificate, Associates, and Bachelors), the tuition rate is $250 per credit hour, which is the Tuition Assistance cap for Army, Air Force and Space Force, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard.
Graduate: The tuition rate for graduate online programs (graduate certificates and master’s degrees) is $275 per credit hour.
Doctoral: When you complete a graduate degree through Liberty – including the nested 21-hour executive certificates – and you continue your studies into a doctoral program within 2 academic years of graduation, you will receive a reduced tuition rate of just $300 per credit hour. The $300 tuition rate only applies to active service members, eligible veterans, and spouses who are new to a doctoral program in Fall 2020 or after. DoD employees are not eligible for the discounted tuition rate at the doctoral level. Both Ed.S. and Ed.D. programs will retain a tuition rate of $275 per credit hour. Degrees awarded in passing do not qualify. For questions about your specific program of study, please see our Student Financial Services webpage.
Eligibility and Important Policies
Students who meet any of the below criteria may qualify for the discounted online military tuition rate:
- Active Duty
- Reserve/National Guard
- Spouses of Service Members and Veterans/Retirees
- Current Department of Defense Employees
Furthermore, the following policies apply:
- Service members/veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces qualify after basic training has been completed (as defined in 10 U.S.C. § 101(a)(4)). State Guard does not qualify.
- Veterans must have a Character of Service that is: Honorable, Under Honorable Conditions or General.
- A military spouse is defined by Liberty University as a husband or wife currently in a state-sanctioned marriage to a current service member or veteran, both of whom are natural-born members of the opposite sex.
- If you apply to a new program, change degree levels, or break enrollment, you will be required to resubmit documentation that meet the current eligibility requirements.
- The discount is only awarded once acceptable documentation is received and reviewed by the Office of Military Affairs. Benefits are not awarded retroactively.
- Students must be pursuing an online degree program at the Certificate, Associate’s, Bachelor’s, or Master’s level. Additionally, Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) and Education Specialist (Ed.S.) students may qualify. Students enrolled in a Residential program or the Willmington School of the Bible do not qualify.
- If your discharge does not meet the criteria for our military benefits and you feel your situation warrants a special review by our office, please provide a written explanation of your circumstances (including the DD-214 with character of service listed, supporting documentation, and a brief essay) to be reviewed by the Office of Military Affairs for consideration. You may email your request with documentation attached to LUOMilitary@liberty.edu. The Office of Military Affairs reserves the right to deny or approve appeals based on a comprehensive review of all documentation submitted.
How to Apply?
If you believe you qualify for any of these benefits, please review the information on our LUO Military Benefits guide to submit your documentation and apply.
Once approved, the benefits are automatically applied to the account within 3-5 business days of enrollment in course(s). You may verify your charges have updated accordingly by viewing your Summary of Account through ASIST and when you complete Financial Check-In each semester.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
All discounts are subject to approval based on full eligibility criteria. If you have any questions, please contact Military Affairs.
Liberty University Online corporate affiliate and promotional discounts and other promotional awards, such as technology fee waivers, are not stackable with Liberty University given military benefits. If a student is initially awarded both, he or she should see the promotional discount or waiver removed within 24 hours. If preferred, students can contact the Student Accounts Office to have their account adjusted to accurately reflect their charges before completing Financial Check-In (FCI).