Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) – Secondary Education (45 Hours)
M.A.T. in Secondary Education – 45 Hours
High school teachers play an important role in the lives of their students. They often do more than teach — they also give guidance that can change the trajectory of their students’ lives. No matter which career field you’re in now, if you want to make an impact on the lives of high school students as a teacher, Liberty University can help.
Liberty’s M.A.T. in Secondary Education 45-hour track can help you earn your teacher licensure while giving you the flexibility you need to cover multiple endorsement areas, such as elementary, middle, and special education. You can also use your additional electives to earn your core competencies.
Liberty University’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). This standard of excellence means you can graduate from Liberty with an online graduate degree recognized and respected by colleges and employers across the nation. Additionally, we believe that earning your degree should be affordable — which is why our 100% online M.A.T. degrees are now specially priced at just $415 per credit hour for full-time students.
By earning your M.A.T. in Secondary Education from a nonprofit, Christian university, you will receive training that is both academically excellent and grounded in biblical principles. At Liberty, we don’t just train educators — we train educators who make a positive impact on the next generation.
What Will You Learn in the M.A.T. in Secondary Education?
Here are some of the specific subjects you will study throughout your program:
- Educational behavior and development
- Theories and methodologies of education
- Current trends in the education field
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
The online Master of Arts in Teaching will give you a balance of theoretical educational models and hands-on, practical teaching skills. Throughout this program, you will find a core of learning theory, important studies in the historical and philosophical foundations of education, and foundations of exceptionalism in education.
You will also learn about critical assessment tools that enable schools to measure student learning and make improvements. Your secondary education track will prepare you to work with grades 6-12 through courses focused on curriculum development and behavior management. With 9 credit hours of electives, you can cover missing content competencies or fulfill additional requirements for a second endorsement area.
Potential Careers for M.A.T. in Secondary Education – 45 Hour Track Graduates
- K-12 curriculum developer
- K-12 curriculum manager
- Secondary education licensed teacher
- Teaching product developer
- High School Teacher
Students may also choose to pursue a dual endorsement. By taking a few extra courses, students can graduate with licensure in secondary education and another endorsement area, such as middle grades, elementary education, or special education.
Highlights of the M.A.T. in Secondary Education
As a leader in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to create a flexible and affordable education for busy people. Since we have been investing in distance and online learning for decades, our experience has taught us how to streamline our degree options so you can focus on what really matters to you. While many schools offer online degrees, we believe Liberty stands out.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online 45-credit hour M.A.T. in Secondary Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we offer a lower graduate tuition rate for our Master of Arts in Teaching programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is now available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- The School of Education is accredited by NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) through CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation).
- You can achieve your state teaching licensure in as little as 2 years.
Service is important to us, so whether you’re currently serving in the Armed Forces, have served, or are married to someone who serves, we’re here to serve you. Liberty’s military benefits are available to:
- Active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Reserve/National Guard
- Spouses of service members and veterans/retirees
- Current Department of Defense employees
We are proud to support you in your pursuit of a flexible and affordable online education by offering you the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
100% online, 8-week courses
Transfer in up to 50% of the degree total
Next Start Date
Aug 23, 2021
NCATE through CAEP
Experience That Matters to You
As an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Virginia, Liberty University offers you an education that is both academically challenging and rooted in a biblical worldview.
At Liberty, you’ll benefit from 30+ years of learning, growing, adapting, and innovating for the distance learner — and more than a decade of researching the needs of the online student. You can be confident that we’ve taken the time to learn what’s important to you.
And what’s that?
- Academic Quality
These important factors challenged us to find new financial solutions, get ahead of industry trends, and blaze trails into cutting-edge career fields — and it’s paid off. That’s the difference experience makes.
We are widely recognized as a top university for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
Why Choose Liberty University?
Enjoy Flexible Courses
Choose from a wide variety of programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level, most of which are 100% online*. With an 8-week format and 8 start dates per year, it’s easy to fit your courses around your schedule!
* excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Maximize Your Time
Start and finish your degree faster! Liberty requires no standardized testing for admission, and you can transfer previous course credit — transfer in up to 75% of a bachelor’s degree and up to 50% of a master’s, postgraduate, or doctoral degree — or discover how your life, career, or military experience may count toward your college degree.
Grow in Your Faith
All of our courses are taught from a Christian perspective, and our faculty see themselves as mentors. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — we’re committed to championing you as you study to go further in your field, become a leader in your industry, or start a new career.
Access Academic Support
Throughout your educational journey, you will have access to academic resources that will aid in the completion of your degree. Services include our online library, writing center, tutoring, study aids, IT assistance, 30+ tutorial videos, live webinars, and personalized help from our academic advising team.
At Liberty, we believe in putting a world-class Christian education within reach — so our tuition rates have been frozen for 6 years and counting!
As a nonprofit (not-for-profit) university, Liberty is in the business of training skilled professionals to make a difference in the world – not gaining profit, revenue, or producing dividends for shareholders. In keeping with our commitment to your education, we invest our resources back into degree programs and into your student experience.
While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university and has not increased tuition for 6 straight years. Lower tuition means less student loan debt for students.
For Liberty University, nonprofit is more than a status; it is a valuable opportunity to invest in the lives of students who will go out and impact the world.
87% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. Virginia residents may qualify for additional aid — learn more!
Corporate Tuition Assistance
Deferred – If your company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you pay only a portion of your balance up front. You submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay the remaining balance for your classes.
Qualified military service members, veterans, and their spouses can receive up to 55% off their tuition rate for eligible programs!
Contact one of our Admissions Counselors for more information by calling (800) 424-9595.