Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) – Middle Grades Education (45 Hours)
M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education – 45 Hours
Middle school students are at one of the most important transitional times in their lives – having a positive role model to look up to as they grow into capable young adults can make all the difference. If you are passionate about encouraging middle school children, Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching Middle Grades 45-hour track can help you get the credentials you need to enter the field with confidence.
By choosing Liberty’s 45-credit hour M.A.T. program, you will also have elective credits built into your program – giving you the ability to earn your core competencies or further expand your credentials with a second endorsement in elementary, secondary, or special education. By adding another layer to your license, you can expand your teaching career and gain more opportunities to impact your students.
Liberty University’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). This standard of excellence means you can graduate from Liberty with an online graduate degree recognized and respected by colleges and employers across the nation.
By earning your M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education from a nonprofit, Christian university, you will receive training that is not only academically excellent, but grounded in biblical principles. We don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. With content designed to put the focus on the value of middle school students as individuals, Liberty’s biblical basis can help equip you to make the positive impact you want to see in education.
What Will You Learn in the M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education?
Throughout this program, you will study:
- Educational behavior and development
- Theories and methodologies of education
- Current trends in the education field
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
Liberty’s M.A.T. in Middle Grades program is designed to prepare you to teach English, math, science, or social studies at the 6th-8th grade level by allowing you to choose courses that focus on your subject of choice. And at the end of the program, you will get hands-on classroom experience through a semester of student teaching. By training alongside a licensed middle school teacher, you can develop your teaching methods while meeting state licensure requirements.
Additionally, the 45-hour M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education track provides 9 credit hours of electives, so you can cover missing content competencies or fulfill additional requirements for a second endorsement area in elementary, secondary, or special education.
Potential Careers for M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education – 45 Hour Track Graduates
- K-12 curriculum developer
- K-12 curriculum manager
- Middle grades education licensed teacher
- Teaching product developer
You may also choose to pursue a dual endorsement. By taking a few extra courses, you can graduate with licensure in middle grades education and another endorsement area, such as elementary education, secondary education, or special education.
Highlights of the M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education
As a leader in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to create a flexible and affordable education for busy people. Since we have been investing in distance and online learning for decades, our experience has taught us how to streamline our degree options so you can focus on what really matters to you. While many schools offer online degrees, we believe Liberty stands out.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online 45-credit hour M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we offer a lower graduate tuition rate for our Master of Arts in Teaching programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is now available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- The School of Education is accredited by NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) through CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation).
- You can achieve your state teaching licensure in as little as 2 years.
Service is important to us, so whether you’re currently serving in the Armed Forces, have served, or are married to someone who serves, we’re here to serve you. Liberty’s military benefits are available to:
- Active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Reserve/National Guard
- Spouses of service members and veterans/retirees
- Current Department of Defense employees
We are proud to support you in your pursuit of a flexible and affordable online education by offering you the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
100% online, 8-week courses
Transfer in up to 50% of the degree total
Next Start Date
Aug 23, 2021
NCATE through CAEP
Experience That Matters to You
As an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Virginia, Liberty University offers you an education that is both academically challenging and rooted in a biblical worldview.
At Liberty, you’ll benefit from 30+ years of learning, growing, adapting, and innovating for the distance learner — and more than a decade of researching the needs of the online student. You can be confident that we’ve taken the time to learn what’s important to you.
And what’s that?
- Academic Quality
These important factors challenged us to find new financial solutions, get ahead of industry trends, and blaze trails into cutting-edge career fields — and it’s paid off. That’s the difference experience makes.
We are widely recognized as a top university for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
Why Choose Liberty University?
Enjoy Flexible Courses
Choose from a wide variety of programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level, most of which are 100% online*. With an 8-week format and 8 start dates per year, it’s easy to fit your courses around your schedule!
* excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Maximize Your Time
Start and finish your degree faster! Liberty requires no standardized testing for admission, and you can transfer previous course credit — transfer in up to 75% of a bachelor’s degree and up to 50% of a master’s, postgraduate, or doctoral degree — or discover how your life, career, or military experience may count toward your college degree.
Grow in Your Faith
All of our courses are taught from a Christian perspective, and our faculty see themselves as mentors. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — we’re committed to championing you as you study to go further in your field, become a leader in your industry, or start a new career.
Access Academic Support
Throughout your educational journey, you will have access to academic resources that will aid in the completion of your degree. Services include our online library, writing center, tutoring, study aids, IT assistance, 30+ tutorial videos, live webinars, and personalized help from our academic advising team.
At Liberty, we believe in putting a world-class Christian education within reach — so our tuition rates have been frozen for 6 years and counting!
As a nonprofit (not-for-profit) university, Liberty is in the business of training skilled professionals to make a difference in the world – not gaining profit, revenue, or producing dividends for shareholders. In keeping with our commitment to your education, we invest our resources back into degree programs and into your student experience.
While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university and has not increased tuition for 6 straight years. Lower tuition means less student loan debt for students.
For Liberty University, nonprofit is more than a status; it is a valuable opportunity to invest in the lives of students who will go out and impact the world.
87% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. Virginia residents may qualify for additional aid — learn more!
Corporate Tuition Assistance
Deferred – If your company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you pay only a portion of your balance up front. You submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay the remaining balance for your classes.
Qualified military service members, veterans, and their spouses can receive up to 55% off their tuition rate for eligible programs!
Contact one of our Admissions Counselors for more information by calling (800) 424-9595.