Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Special Education
Inspire Children with Unique Needs with an Online B.Ed. in Special Education
Do you need special education licensure but can’t make a traditional teaching program work for your busy lifestyle? Liberty’s 100% online Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Special Education can give you the training and teacher preparation you need.
Liberty’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). This accreditation means that your coursework and training will meet high standards of excellence that demonstrate your value as a professional.
Liberty’s mission is to Train Champions for Christ. We fulfill this mission by training educators who pursue excellence and Christlike compassion in teaching. You can join educators like these with your teacher’s license, approved by the Virginia Dept. of Education and provided through this program. Liberty’s B.Ed. in Special Education is one of only a few 100% online teacher preparation programs – and the only one in Virginia. Earn your teaching license from the comfort of your home or office!
Through this program, you will study essential learning theory and best practices that will equip you to help students with special needs thrive. With our program’s practicum and student teaching hours, you will get hands-on experience as you apply your studies in a classroom in your area.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Bachelor of Education program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations. Request more information to receive reciprocity guidelines for your state.
Not interested in licensure? Check out our bachelor’s degree in special education interdisciplinary studies!
What Will You Learn in the B.Ed. in Special Education?
- Learner development and the differences in how students learn
- How to create an effective learning environment
- Expertise in special education teaching and learning
- Teaching materials and curriculum for special needs students
- An evidence-based approach to theory and best practices to assess, plan, and teach individuals with special needs
The B.Ed. in Special Education can provide you with essential learning theory and teaching best practices that will equip you to help special needs students. With a mix of 100% online studies and hands-on training through your practicum and student teaching, you will learn how to apply your skills and knowledge to the classroom.
Potential Careers for B.Ed. in Special Education Graduates
- Homeschool teacher
- Ministry teacher
- Special education consultant
- Special education curriculum coordinator
- Special education teacher
Benefits of Our B.Ed. in Special Education
As a leader in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to create a flexible and affordable education for busy people. Since we have been investing in distance and online learning for decades, our experience has taught us how to streamline our degree options so you can focus on what really matters to you. While many schools offer online degrees, we believe Liberty stands out.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- The B.Ed. in Special Education licensure-track program is approved by the VDOE for teacher preparation. This approval means that you can complete your licensure requirements within the program for the state of Virginia and apply for reciprocity in another state if desired.
- This is one of the only teacher licensure programs in the nation that is 100% online!
- Pursuing our online Bachelor of Education licensure-tracks may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- You can complete this B.Ed. in Special Education program in as little as 3.5 years!
Service is important to us, so whether you’re currently serving in the Armed Forces, have served, or are married to someone who serves, we’re here to serve you. Liberty’s military benefits are available to:
- Active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Reserve/National Guard
- Spouses of service members and veterans/retirees
- Current Department of Defense employees
We are proud to support you in your pursuit of a flexible and affordable online education by offering you the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
100% online, 8-week courses
Transfer in up to 75% of the degree total
Next Start Date
Jun 28, 2021
NCATE through CAEP
Experience That Matters to You
As an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Virginia, Liberty University offers you an education that is both academically challenging and rooted in a biblical worldview.
At Liberty, you’ll benefit from 30+ years of learning, growing, adapting, and innovating for the distance learner — and more than a decade of researching the needs of the online student. You can be confident that we’ve taken the time to learn what’s important to you.
And what’s that?
- Academic Quality
These important factors challenged us to find new financial solutions, get ahead of industry trends, and blaze trails into cutting-edge career fields — and it’s paid off. That’s the difference experience makes.
We are widely recognized as a top university for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
Why Choose Liberty University?
Enjoy Flexible Courses
Choose from a wide variety of programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level, most of which are 100% online*. With an 8-week format and 8 start dates per year, it’s easy to fit your courses around your schedule!
* excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Maximize Your Time
Start and finish your degree faster! Liberty requires no standardized testing for admission, and you can transfer previous course credit — transfer in up to 75% of a bachelor’s degree and up to 50% of a master’s degree — or discover how your life, career, or military experience may count toward your college degree.
Grow in Your Faith
All of our courses are taught from a Christian perspective, and our faculty see themselves as mentors. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — we’re committed to championing you as you study to go further in your field, become a leader in your industry, or start a new career.
Access Academic Support
Throughout your educational journey, you will have access to academic resources that will aid in the completion of your degree. Services include our online library, writing center, tutoring, study aids, IT assistance, 30+ tutorial videos, live webinars, and personalized help from our academic advising team.
At Liberty, we believe in putting a world-class Christian education within reach — so our tuition rates have been frozen for 6 years and counting!
As a nonprofit (not-for-profit) university, Liberty is in the business of training skilled professionals to make a difference in the world – not gaining profit, revenue, or producing dividends for shareholders. In keeping with our commitment to your education, we invest our resources back into degree programs and into your student experience.
While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university and has not increased tuition for 6 straight years. Lower tuition means less student loan debt for students.
For Liberty University, nonprofit is more than a status; it is a valuable opportunity to invest in the lives of students who will go out and impact the world.
87% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. Virginia residents may qualify for additional aid — learn more!
Corporate Tuition Assistance
Deferred – If your company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you pay only a portion of your balance up front. You submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay the remaining balance for your classes.
Qualified military service members, veterans, and their spouses can receive up to 55% off their tuition rate for eligible programs!
Contact one of our Admissions Counselors for more information by calling (800) 424-9595.