Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in English as a Second Language (ESL) Education P-12
Get the Degree You Need to Help ESL Students Achieve More
You may have noticed that the demographics of America’s classrooms are changing. There is an increasing number of young people growing up in households that don’t speak English. Since our school system revolves entirely around the English language, this means more children are entering our schools at a disadvantage. If you feel passionate about reaching these students and helping them develop their English language skills, we have the degree for you.
Liberty University’s Bachelor of Education in English as a Second Language provides the education courses, hands-on classroom experience, and support system you’ll need to become a licensed teacher. Teaching ESL students is a rewarding career path that gives you the chance to learn about new cultures while sharing your own.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Bachelor of Education program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations. You can research your state’s licensure requirements here: https://www.liberty.edu/statelicensure/ESED-BED-D/.
What Will You Learn in the B.Ed. in ESL Education?
- Behavioral and learning differences among students
- English grammar, etymology, and linguistics
- How to create a curriculum and evaluate learning outcomes
- World languages and second language acquisition
Liberty’s 100% online B.Ed. in English as a Second Language will help you build a foundation of best practices in teaching theory. You will learn how to test and adapt your teaching to your learners’ strengths and needs.
With the practicum and student teaching in this licensure-track program, you will have hands-on training working with children in your local area. This experience is the most important factor, since you can put your teaching skills to the test and complete licensure requirements.
Career Opportunities for English as a Second Language B.Ed. Graduates
- English as a second language school teacher
- Head teacher at an English language institute
- P-12 academic coordinator
- Teaching English as a second language (TESL) curriculum planner
Benefits of Liberty’s Online B.Ed. Program
As a leader in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to create a flexible and affordable education for busy people. Since we have been investing in distance and online learning for decades, our experience has taught us how to streamline our degree options so you can focus on what really matters to you. While many schools offer online degrees, we believe Liberty stands out.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete this B.Ed. program in as little as 3.5 years!
- This degree is offered 100% online and is approved by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) for teacher preparation. This approval means that you can complete your teaching license without having to travel to a university campus.
Service is important to us, so whether you’re currently serving in the Armed Forces, have served, or are married to someone who serves, we’re here to serve you. Liberty’s military benefits are available to:
- Active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Reserve/National Guard
- Spouses of service members and veterans/retirees
- Current Department of Defense employees
We are proud to support you in your pursuit of a flexible and affordable online education by offering you the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
100% online, 8-week courses
Transfer in up to 75% of the degree total
Next Start Date
Oct 25, 2021
NCATE through CAEP
Experience That Matters to You
As an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Virginia, Liberty University offers you an education that is both academically challenging and rooted in a biblical worldview.
At Liberty, you’ll benefit from 30+ years of learning, growing, adapting, and innovating for the distance learner — and more than a decade of researching the needs of the online student. You can be confident that we’ve taken the time to learn what’s important to you.
And what’s that?
- Academic Quality
These important factors challenged us to find new financial solutions, get ahead of industry trends, and blaze trails into cutting-edge career fields — and it’s paid off. That’s the difference experience makes.
We are widely recognized as a top university for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
Why Choose Liberty University?
Enjoy Flexible Courses
Choose from a wide variety of programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level, most of which are 100% online*. With an 8-week format and 8 start dates per year, it’s easy to fit your courses around your schedule!
* excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Maximize Your Time
Start and finish your degree faster! Liberty requires no standardized testing for admission, and you can transfer previous course credit — transfer in up to 75% of a bachelor’s degree and up to 50% of a master’s, postgraduate, or doctoral degree — or discover how your life, career, or military experience may count toward your college degree.
Grow in Your Faith
All of our courses are taught from a Christian perspective, and our faculty see themselves as mentors. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — we’re committed to championing you as you study to go further in your field, become a leader in your industry, or start a new career.
Access Academic Support
Throughout your educational journey, you will have access to academic resources that will aid in the completion of your degree. Services include our online library, writing center, tutoring, study aids, IT assistance, 30+ tutorial videos, live webinars, and personalized help from our academic advising team.
At Liberty, we believe in putting a world-class Christian education within reach — so our tuition rates have been frozen for 6 years and counting!
As a nonprofit (not-for-profit) university, Liberty is in the business of training skilled professionals to make a difference in the world – not gaining profit, revenue, or producing dividends for shareholders. In keeping with our commitment to your education, we invest our resources back into degree programs and into your student experience.
While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university and has not increased tuition for 6 straight years. Lower tuition means less student loan debt for students.
For Liberty University, nonprofit is more than a status; it is a valuable opportunity to invest in the lives of students who will go out and impact the world.
Nearly 80% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. Virginia residents may qualify for additional aid — learn more!
Corporate Tuition Assistance
Deferred – If your company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you pay only a portion of your balance up front. You submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay the remaining balance for your classes.
Qualified military service members, veterans, and their spouses can receive up to 55% off their tuition rate for eligible programs!
Contact one of our Admissions Counselors for more information by calling (800) 424-9595.