Internship Application and Process
The School of Music’s Internship Program is designed to assist students in finding internships in ministries and organizations. The School of Music works closely with students to secure their internships.
Although the class only takes place during one semester, the process actually starts a full two semesters before the internship begins. Students should apply for their internship placement at least two semesters prior to their preferred internship start date (e.g. if you wish to complete a summer internship, you should apply during the fall semester prior). There are several requirements that the student must complete before and during the internship process. Though some assignments require mentor participation, the student is responsible for completing and turning in all student assignments.
Internship Application Requirements
- 2.0+ GPA
- Achieved Junior Status
- Successful Completion of the Sophomore Review
- Complete the Internship Application (this will be emailed to students via SOM Central)
- Attend the Internship Information Meeting
- Meet with the SOM internship and practice personnel as needed
- Develop your Resume, Cover Letter, and Video
- Interview with Potential Internship Site(s)
- Determine the Internship Start/End Dates with Supervisor
- Associate Dean registers you for MUSC 499
- Complete your internship!*
*International students must also adhere to the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) requirements.
Students must fulfill the internship site’s hour requirements. Most internships will provide approximately 400 hours of experience, though lesser hours of service may be approved in certain circumstances. All internships must be approved by the School of Music.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I already have an internship site in mind. Can I do my internship there? We encourage students to find their own internships. Keep in mind that ALL internships are subject to the approval of the School of Music, and no commitments should be made until approval is granted.
- I don’t know where to start looking for an internship. Help! Email email@example.com for guidance and help finding an internship.
- I completed an internship at my church this past summer. Can that count toward my MUSC 499 requirement? Although we encourage students to gain as much experience as possible through all four years of college, all MUSC 499 internships must be facilitated through the School of Music. Retroactive internships are not permitted.
- Can I complete my internship during the Fall or Spring semesters? Internships are typically completed during the summer between the student’s Junior and Senior year. However, students may be permitted to complete their internship during other semesters for extenuating circumstances.