Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Special Education – General Curriculum 45-Hour
Help Special Needs Students with Liberty’s Flexible 45-Hour M.A.T. in Special Education
If you want to teach and care for special needs students, you need specialized training and credentials. You can have a rewarding career helping special needs students and earn a grade-level specific credential with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) in Special Education – General Curriculum 45-Hour program.
With the Career and Technical Education (CTE) – Transition and Special Needs add-on endorsement, you could prepare to work with students on transition planning, personal goals, and career or college readiness. With in-class experience and optional on-campus intensives, you will have the hands-on training and critical teaching knowledge you’ll need to be successful in your future classroom.
What Will You Learn in Our M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum 45-Hour Program?
Here are some of the specific subjects you will study throughout your program:
- Current trends in the education field
- Educational behavior and development
- Methods of teaching and classroom management
- Theories and methodologies of education
Through the M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum, you will learn how to provide individualized education support and care for students with significant disabilities. You will learn to create lesson plans and provide intellectual stimulation for special needs students while encouraging growth.
With a CTE in Transition and Special Needs add-on endorsement, you could be more equipped to be a transition specialist in a K-12 school or district. The need for specialists who are able to formulate different college and career readiness transition strategies is ever-growing. As you pursue your degree, you can become more prepared to work in the special education field.
Through your practicums and student teaching, you will apply what you learn under the mentorship of an experienced special education educator in a classroom in your community.
Career Opportunities for M.A.T. in Special Education – General Curriculum 45-Hour Graduates
- Family support specialist
- Home-based service provider
- K-12 curriculum developer and manager
- Licensed special education teacher
- Special education consultant
- Teaching product developer
Students may also choose to pursue a dual endorsement. By taking a few extra courses, students can graduate with licensure in special education and another endorsement area, such as elementary education, middle grades, or secondary education.
Highlights of the M.A.T. in Special Education
As a leader in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to create a flexible and affordable education for busy people. Since we have been investing in distance and online learning for decades, our experience has taught us how to streamline our degree options so you can focus on what really matters to you. While many schools offer online degrees, we believe Liberty stands out.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your master’s in teaching degree online from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students,* Liberty University’s M.A.T. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- You can choose an additional endorsement area for initial licensure in elementary, middle grades, or secondary education for more flexibility.
- Pursuing our online Master of Arts in Teaching licensure track may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Liberty’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Because this is an online degree, you will have the opportunity to network with educators from across the country.
*Full time status at the Graduate level is defined as at least 9 credit hours per semester.
Service is important to us, so whether you’re currently serving in the Armed Forces, have served, or are married to someone who serves, we’re here to serve you. Liberty’s military benefits are available to:
- Active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Reserve/National Guard
- Spouses of service members and veterans/retirees
- Current Department of Defense employees
We are proud to support you in your pursuit of a flexible and affordable online education by offering you the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
100% online, 8-week courses
Transfer in up to 50% of the degree total
Next Start Date
Aug 23, 2021
NCATE through CAEP
Experience That Matters to You
As an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Virginia, Liberty University offers you an education that is both academically challenging and rooted in a biblical worldview.
At Liberty, you’ll benefit from 30+ years of learning, growing, adapting, and innovating for the distance learner — and more than a decade of researching the needs of the online student. You can be confident that we’ve taken the time to learn what’s important to you.
And what’s that?
- Academic Quality
These important factors challenged us to find new financial solutions, get ahead of industry trends, and blaze trails into cutting-edge career fields — and it’s paid off. That’s the difference experience makes.
We are widely recognized as a top university for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
Why Choose Liberty University?
Enjoy Flexible Courses
Choose from a wide variety of programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level, most of which are 100% online*. With an 8-week format and 8 start dates per year, it’s easy to fit your courses around your schedule!
* excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Maximize Your Time
Start and finish your degree faster! Liberty requires no standardized testing for admission, and you can transfer previous course credit — transfer in up to 75% of a bachelor’s degree and up to 50% of a master’s, postgraduate, or doctoral degree — or discover how your life, career, or military experience may count toward your college degree.
Grow in Your Faith
All of our courses are taught from a Christian perspective, and our faculty see themselves as mentors. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — we’re committed to championing you as you study to go further in your field, become a leader in your industry, or start a new career.
Access Academic Support
Throughout your educational journey, you will have access to academic resources that will aid in the completion of your degree. Services include our online library, writing center, tutoring, study aids, IT assistance, 30+ tutorial videos, live webinars, and personalized help from our academic advising team.
At Liberty, we believe in putting a world-class Christian education within reach — so our tuition rates have been frozen for 6 years and counting!
As a nonprofit (not-for-profit) university, Liberty is in the business of training skilled professionals to make a difference in the world – not gaining profit, revenue, or producing dividends for shareholders. In keeping with our commitment to your education, we invest our resources back into degree programs and into your student experience.
While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university and has not increased tuition for 6 straight years. Lower tuition means less student loan debt for students.
For Liberty University, nonprofit is more than a status; it is a valuable opportunity to invest in the lives of students who will go out and impact the world.
87% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. Virginia residents may qualify for additional aid — learn more!
Corporate Tuition Assistance
Deferred – If your company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you pay only a portion of your balance up front. You submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay the remaining balance for your classes.
Qualified military service members, veterans, and their spouses can receive up to 55% off their tuition rate for eligible programs!
Contact one of our Admissions Counselors for more information by calling (800) 424-9595.