Oral presentations will be held throughout the week and scheduled based on the research category. Please consult the Research Week Schedule.
Oral presentations must follow the guidelines below.
Categories and Judging Rubrics
Oral presentations will be entered into one of the following categories. Click on the category for a description of the type of research that it addresses and to see the judging rubric.
Oral Presentation Guidelines
Oral presentations will take place in technology-enhanced rooms in the Jerry Falwell Library. IT support will be on standby for any technical difficulties. All presentation rooms include:
- a projector with large screen
- an audio system
- wireless internet
- a laptop preloaded with the approved presentation file that was submitted in the proposal portal.
- must be no more than 15 minutes in length.
- may use any of the 16×9 PowerPoint presentation slides found on the bottom of this page. (PowerPoint files must be converted to PDFs before they are submitted.)
- will have a moderator stationed in the front row of the room to track the presentation time and give the presenter a three-minute warning.
- review the Research Week Schedule in advance to ensure availability to participate at that time. (Rescheduling of presentation times is not allowed due to the availability of judges.)
- be physically present and present from the front of the room.
- check in at the welcome desk in JFL’s upper atrium between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on the day of their assigned presentation time.
- bring their presentation on a USB flash drive and keep a copy of it in their email as a backup.
- be ready to present at their assigned location at least 10 minutes prior to their presentation time. (The schedule is strictly enforced.)
- be prepared to answer questions in the five minutes immediately following the presentation.
- dress professionally.
Please review the video created by the Jerry Falwell Library on Best Practices for Giving Virtual Presentations.
Students are encouraged to explore last year’s oral presentation proposals and slide presentations.
Attendees are asked to be quiet and respectful of others while they are presenting. No one will be allowed to enter the room once a presentation begins, and leaving during a presentation is highly discouraged.