Research Week 2022: Oral Presentation Guidelines
Oral presentations are 15 minutes in length with 5 additional minutes for questions and answers. Students should arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of the session they are scheduled and should be ready to load their presentations onto the laptop provided. The schedule is strictly enforced.
Oral presentations are held in technology-enhanced rooms in the Jerry Falwell Library.
Online presenters need to make sure they adhere to these technological requirements.
Please review this video created by the Jerry Falwell Library on Best Practices for Giving Virtual Presentations.
All presentation rooms include:
- PC laptop with DVD/CD player
- Projector with large screen
- Audio system
- Wireless internet capabilities
Available PC software:
- Internet browsers: Firefox and Chrome
- Adobe DC Professional
- Windows 10
- Microsoft Office 2016 Professional
When you present:
- Laptop computers are provided for your use.
- Visuals may include Microsoft PowerPoint following the guidelines using any of the 16×9 PowerPoint presentation slides.
- Bring your presentation on a USB flash drive and keep a copy of your presentation in your email as a backup.
- Technical services will be on standby for any technical difficulties.
- The presenter will be oriented to present at the front of the room.
- A moderator will be stationed in the front row of your room to track your time and give you a three-minute warning.
Be quiet and respectful of others while they are presenting. We highly discourage leaving the room while a person is presenting. We will not allow anyone to enter the room once a presentation begins.
Awards and Judging
- $250 First Place
- $100 Second Place
- $50 Third Place
These awards will be given for each research subtype (Basic, Applied, Theoretical Proposal, Textual or Investigative, and Creative and Artistic) independently for graduate and undergraduate students. All accepted presentations will be judged based on the respective rubrics detailed on the Abstract Guidelines page.