Research Week 2022: Juried Art Exhibition Guidelines
Juried Art Exhibition
April 11-15, 2022
Jerry Falwell Library
Liberty University Center for Research & Scholarship will be hosting a Juried Art Exhibition as part of this year’s Research Week 2022. The Juried Art Exhibition is an opportunity for talented artists to showcase their creativity and demonstrate their understanding of how research influences masterpieces.
Open to any and all currently enrolled residential and LUO undergraduate SADA students.
Students will submit their work, whether traditional or digital, in digital form as a PDF. All submissions must be original artwork produced by the student within the last two years. Each piece must be accompanied by a summary of the contestant’s research process (2-3 pages, double-spaced) detailed below.
Category 1 = 2-Dimensional (2-D)
- Drawing and Painting (including mixed media)
- Photography (including color or black and white)
- Illustration- Analog or Digital, abstract, landscape, character design, editorial, etc.
Category 2 = 3-Dimensional (3-D)
- Fine Crafts (including fiber, ceramics, metals, glass, wood, basketry, and jewelry)
Category 3 = Graphic Design
- Graphic Design- Branding, Packaging, Publication, Typography, User Experience/User Interface, Posters, Advertising
Juried Art Exhibition submissions will require photos for each entry. For 2-D and Graphic Design, this should include an overall image (required) as well as any additional detailed photos (optional). For 3-D, this should include photos of the front, side, and back. Regardless of categories (1, 2, or 3), these photos should be submitted as a single PDF along with the research notes and entry information detailed below. You will be judged based only on what is submitted.
Your artwork will be accepted based on these photos, so be sure that they showcase it well.
Juried Art Presentations will require up to two additional materials:
(1) Research Notes. Each piece must be accompanied by a summary of the contestant’s research process. This must be 2-3 pages (double-spaced) and include the following:
- Research problem statement
- Communication objective
- Visual solution
- How it was produced
(2) Entry Information. The following additional entry information is required for each submission:
- Presenter’s name
- Phone number
- Medium of the artwork
If your abstract is accepted, you will be prompted to click on a link in the submission form which will then walk you through uploading your final products which should include: the digital images, research notes, and entry information files. Be sure these adhere to the requirements detailed above. Be sure your file is saved using the following file naming structures:
- Art Images: Last Name_First Name_Middle Initial_Art Images.pdf
- Research Notes: Last Name_First Name_Middle Initial_Research Notes.pdf
- Entry Information: Last Name_First Name_Middle Initial_Entry.pdf
Presenters with multiple artworks must provide separate submission forms to the Research Week submissions portal for each entry.
The gallery reserves the right to reject any artwork due to non-conformance to Liberty’s Code of Honor.
Awards and Judging
- $150 First Place
- $125 Second Place
- $100 Third Place
- $75 People’s Choice
These awards will be given for each category (2-D, 3-D, Graphic Design) described above. All accepted entries will be judged based on the Juried Art Exhibition Rubric by distinguished judges.
Check back for more information regarding the awards reception.
There will be a written critique available for all accepted works which will be distributed after the conclusion of Research Week and the awards ceremony.