- M.S.A. in Unmanned Systems and Space Operations, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- B.S. in Aeronautics and Video Production, Liberty University
Jonathan Washburn serves as the UAS Program Director at Liberty University. He spent nearly 5 years flying UAS (Unmanned Aerial Systems) for the government as a civilian contractor. Working around the world, Washburn deployed UAS in both hostile and friendly areas. The second half of his career was largely focused on research and development tasks including refining operational procedures, improving systems and payloads, and installing these systems at various operational locations. Washburn was also the primary instructor for the RF systems courses. He now works to continue building the UAS program at Liberty University.
Professional or Notable Memberships
AUVSI Regional Chapter Board Member, ASTM Member
Introduction to UAS (AVIA 230), Small UAS Ground (AVIA 235), Small UAS Flight (AVIA 236), UAS Avionics and Powerplants (AVIA 323), Medium UAS 1, 2, and 3 (AVIA 335, 446, and 447)
UAS for the Manned Mars Mission (master’s thesis)
- Creating and deploying a UAS specifically engineered to improve the safety and potential scope of human exploration on the Martian surface.
- Determining the risk level associated with multiple UAS, single operator, missions
- UAS Package Delivery – bridging the gap in the final link of the supply chain.
- Collegiate Training on Medium UAS Platforms
- Building Public Trust in Autonomy – Sharing automated technology with the public and promoting public knowledge through interaction and outreach