Doctor of Nursing Practice: Admissions Requirements
Admission Requirements: Doctor of Nursing Practice
Admission to Liberty University’s Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program is competitive and enrollment is limited. The School of Nursing encourages all candidates to submit their application as early as possible to allow for adequate processing time.
The Doctor of Nursing Practice Program offers two different pathways:
- Post-MSN to DNP for advanced practice nurses and nurse leaders (online)
- Post-BSN to DNP with FNP concentration (residential)
See additional information below.
Post-BSN to DNP pathway now accepting applications for the following:
- Fall 2018 Application Deadline Friday, July 13, 2018
State Approval Disclosure
Currently, the DNP program is not approved for students to participate in practicum requirements in the states of Maryland, Tennessee, and Washington. As a result, applicants should seek programs of study approved by their state. Applicants residing in Maryland are currently unable to complete practicum requirements in the state of Maryland. It is possible for Maryland students to complete their practicum in neighboring states, such as Virginia or Delaware. Please contact the School of Nursing for more information.
Post-Bachelor of Science in Nursing
The Post-Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) to DNP pathway incorporates additional clinical training so that students who complete the program are eligible to take a national certification examination as a family nurse practitioner. The Post-BSN to DNP is offered in a residential format with online courses and practicum. This program is available only in residence at our campus in Lynchburg, Va.
Please note that beginning in the Fall 2015 semester, a graduate biostatistics course is no longer an admission requirement for the Post-MSN DNP Program. Students still need a graduate biostatistics course as a prerequisite to NURS 832.
2. Transcripts: Applicants must submit official copies of transcripts for all post-secondary schools and be a graduate of a CCNE (Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education) or ACEN (Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing) approved institution for their nursing education.
- Transcripts must include either a Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Master of Science Degree in Nursing
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0
3. GPA of 3.0 in most recent nursing degree.
4. Undergraduate statistics course
5. Undergraduate research methods course
6. Undergraduate health assessment course. (A graduate-level health assessment course can be accepted in lieu of an undergraduate course.)
7. Current and active RN license. Applicant must hold a current and active RN license in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Please submit a copy of your license to email@example.com. (If a past sanction or disciplinary action exists on a professional license, the applicant may be contacted by the Nursing Admissions Review Committee for further explanation.)
- If applicable: Advanced practice license and associated professional certification. A current and active APRN license issued in one of the fifty United States (if applicable). Please submit a copy of your license and certification to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If a past sanction or disciplinary action exists on a professional license, the applicant may be contacted by the Nursing Admissions Review Committee for further explanation.)
- If applicable: Clinical APRN Education: advanced practice nurses are required to have the advanced practice core. Graduate transcripts must reflect that the applicants have successfully passed a graduate level health assessment, graduate level pathophysiology, and a graduate level pharmacology.
Note: Applicants are not required to have an advanced practice license or certification for the Post-BSN DNP/FNP pathway. However, if an applicant is currently licensed in another advanced practice nursing specialty (i.e., Clinical Nurse Specialist), applicants must submit a current and active APRN license and certification.
8. Two years of professional nursing experience. Applicants will provide consent for Liberty University’s DNP Program to contact most recent employers to verify two years of professional nursing experience. The consent form will be located on the CV template.
9. Three Reference Contacts. We require three reference contacts: one professional recommendation, one academic recommendation, and one personal recommendation. Please choose individuals who can be contacted via email and/or telephone. You will need to claim your Liberty network account in order for you to submit your recommender’s email address. Please follow the Instructions provided in order to claim your Liberty network account.
10. Curriculum Vitae
11. Writing Sample. You will need to claim your Liberty network account in order for you to submit your recommender’s email address. Please follow the instructions provided in order to claim your Liberty network account.
12. American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers with AED. Please submit a copy of your AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers with AED card to email@example.com.
13. TOEFL (if applicable)
14. Interview. An interview will be extended to selected applicants. Please note that not all applicants will be requested to interview with the School of Nursing. Interviews can be conducted remotely, as needed.
Supplemental Acceptance Steps
After reviewing applications, the School of Nursing will contact selected applicants for an interview. If an acceptance offer is extended to an applicant, there will be additional application steps needed before attending courses. Included in these steps is the purchase of a standardized background check and submission of immunization records. More information will be provided to selected applicants.
Post-Master of Science in Nursing
The Post-Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) to DNP pathway is designed for nurse leaders, nurse practitioners, and clinical nurse specialists who are seeking a Doctorate of Nursing Practice degree. Courses in this pathway are offered in an online format. Practicum hours may be available in your area if approved through your state approval process.
For more information regarding the Post-Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) to DNP pathway program, visit LUO Nursing Information.
To view the Post-Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) to DNP pathway admissions requirements, visit LUO Nursing Admissions.