Continuance Gate Information
If you intend to pursue a degree in filmmaking, you will need to pass through our program’s Continuance Gate during your sophomore year. This process is necessary in order to set up the cohort-based sequence of study that dictates the final two years of your Cinematic Arts program. It is a two-part process involving 1) a Continuance Gate Submission Form and 2) an orientation with two qualified Cinematic Arts department members.
As an LU student, you qualify to complete the Continuance Gate when you meet these requirements:
- You have declared your major of study as Film Production and Content Development. The online submission form link will work after you have completed your Change of Major as necessary.
- Ideally, you are on track to complete your general education courses before the fall semester of the year you are requesting to enter a cohort, including the religion courses required in any degree from Liberty University.
- You are on track to complete CINE 101 and your core prerequisites (CINE 201, 202 & 203) before the fall semester of the year you are requesting to enter a cohort.
- You are in good academic standing with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
Prior experience in film and television is not required.
If you have any questions or special circumstances to consider, please don’t hesitate to contact our office. We want to help you succeed in our program.
Submission Form Requirements
In preparation for your Continuance Gate submission, you must complete the DCP Checklist. Remember to save your finished version for easy retrieval.
Once you have fulfilled the above checklists, you are ready to complete your Continuance Gate Submission Form.
- Go to the Continuance Gate Portal. The portal opens each fall beginning September 1 and continues into the spring semester until all seats are filled.
- Fill out all applicable fields of data.
- Upload your DCP Checklist (provided above) where prompted. Do not submit anything different or in addition to the required document.
- Once these steps are completed, schedule your personal orientation interview from the drop-down menu provided. Note that orientations will take place in the Cinematic Arts Main Offices, Green Hall suite 1892.
- Click Submit to send your submission form to us for review. Submissions will be reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The orientation you attend provides a personal introduction to our cohort model and what it involves. It is your opportunity to ask questions and commit to your responsibilities in a collaborative learning model. Your responsibilities include:
- Accepting that some of your grades are affected by your cohort’s efforts.
- Participating in class activities and contributing to cohort efforts toward assignment completion.
- Investing the time necessary to succeed in the program. For this reason, working paid jobs during your junior and senior school years is not advisable.
- Achieving technology competence in order to keep up with your cohort.
- Securing transportation for yourself to off-campus locations in order to fulfill class requirements. You will not be compensated for transportation.
- Funding the budgets for your film projects. This can be as little as a few hundred dollars to whatever limits you self-impose.
- Paying $1,000 annually in course fees (for junior and senior years). These fees cover the purchase of equipment and supplies you will use while in the program.
Also during your orientation, the panel will review your DCP with you and advise the best plan for completion of your degree. The panel also will direct you concerning next steps.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 434-592-6200.
Questions about financial aid, awards, and scholarships can be directed to Liberty University’s Financial Aid Office at (888)583-5704 (toll-free) or 434-582-2270. The Cinematic Arts Department does not offer scholarships.