Professor of Law
Director of Online Programs and Global Initiatives
- Ph.D., University of Aberdeen School of Law, Aberdeen, Scotland
- LL.M., American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C.
- M.A., International Human Rights, Simon Greenleaf School of Law, Trinity International University, Santa Ana, Ca.
- LL.B., Taras Shevchenko National University, Kiev, Ukraine
Areas of Interest/Teaching
International Law, International Business Law, International Trade Law, International Humanitarian Law, International Law and Diplomacy
- Lectured globally at universities and conferences in Ukraine, Russia, Spain, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Bolivia, Argentina, Peru, Ecuador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Mexico, Chile, El Salvador, Guatemala, Malaysia, and other countries
- Designed and developed the Juris Masters (J.M.) and the Master of Laws (LL.M.) online programs at Liberty Law
- Visiting Professor at Hebei University in the People's Republic of China
- Director of International Government Affairs at Focus on the Family in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Counsel for International Human Rights at Family Research Council, Washington, D.C.
- Board member and former Justice Initiative chair of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference
- ISIS’s Crimes against Humanity, and the Assyrian People: Religious Totalitarianism and the Protection of Fundamental Human Rights, ILSA Journal of International and Comparative Law, 2016
- ISIS International Crimes and Jus Cogens Norms: The Protection of Human Rights in Times of Global Terrorism, Liberty University Law Review, 2016
- Human Dignity Denied: Slavery, Genocide, and Crimes against Humanity in Sudan, Catholic University Law Review, 2002
- Contributor, War and Religion: An encyclopedia of Faith and Conflict, ABC-CLIO, 2017
- The Dehumanization and Trafficking of Persons: A Modern Form of Slavery (book chapter), Prisma, The Netherlands, 2010
- International Law and Human Cloning (book chapter), University of Costa Rica, 2009
Dr. Yuri Mantilla joined the Liberty University School of Law Faculty in 2013 and is the director of online programs and global initiatives. As part of his international work in the field of international law and international relations, he has met with high-ranking legal and governmental leaders, including presidents of the United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Paraguay. He has met with international legal experts and policymakers such as ambassadors and diplomats at the United Nations, Organization of American States, and the United Nations Human Rights Council. His research focuses on international criminal law, international trade law and development, history of international law, international religious freedom, international legal theory, Christian perspectives of international human rights law, and bio-ethics in international law.
Professor Mantilla has lectured at NGO briefings at the United Nations, the Peruvian Parliament, and the Costa Rican Congress, among others. His lectures on international human rights law, bioethics, and international relations issues have been welcomed in the Netherlands, Spain, Russia, Poland, Switzerland, Malaysia, Latin America, and the United States. He has authored law review articles on international law and crimes against humanity, global terrorism, international religious freedom, international ethnic conflicts, and international humanitarian law. He has published book chapters on human trafficking, international bioethics, and has contributed writings to an encyclopedia on the history of war and religion. His media appearances include interviews and debates on CNN, BBC, PBS, C-SPAN, Univision, Telemundo and other global media networks. Dr. Yuri Mantilla has traveled to and resided in many countries including Bolivia, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the People’s Republic of China. He has received several awards including the medal of honor from the National Council of University Chancellors of Peru for his contribution to International Law and the medal of recognition from the National Association of Peruvian Lawyers. He has been recognized for his keynote lectures by the National University of Mexico and the Multidisciplinary Center in Bolivia.