Dr. Newell spent thirty years in law enforcement where he retired as a Lieutenant with one of the largest law enforcement agencies in the nation. During his career, Dr. Newell was afforded the opportunity to serve as a supervisor with the Civil Emergency Unit/Field Force and also with SWAT. Dr. Newell also served as a supervisor over division investigations.
Dr. Newell has served as an adjunct instructor with Liberty University since 2015 and a Subject Matter Expert in Homeland Security and Terrorism since 2017. Dr. Newell’s research interests span the spectrum of topics in Criminal Justice, Homeland Security and Emergency Management with a particular focus on leadership and management.
Dr. Newell serves as a reviewer for numerous journals and has published chapters in the American Corrections text.
- Southern Criminal Justice Association
- International Association of Emergency Managers
- Leadership and Management in the Public Sector
- Leadership and Management under the CompStat Paradigm
- Employee Motivation and Satisfaction within the Public Sector
- Civil Liberties and Civil Defense