Timothy M. Todd
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Associate Professor of Law
Phone: (434) 592-5300
- J.D., Liberty University School of Law, first in class, summa cum laude
- M.S. (Accounting), Liberty University
- B.S., Liberty University, summa cum laude, Honors Program
- C.P.A., Certified Public Accountant, Virginia license
- ChFC®, Chartered Financial Consultant
Areas of Interest/Teaching
Taxation, Business Planning, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Bankruptcy
- Both a lawyer and certified public accountant
- Clerked for the Honorable Eric G. Bruggink of the United States Court of Federal Claims
- Worked in corporate accounting for a Fortune 500 insurance company
- Served as adjunct faculty member at various institutions teaching accounting and taxation courses, among others
- Issues Arising Upon the Death of the Sole Member of a Single-Member LLC, 99 Marquette L. Rev. 723 (2016) (with F. Philip Manns, Jr.)
- Discharge of Late Tax Return Debt in Bankruptcy: Fixing BAPCPA’s Draconian Hanging Paragraph, 24 American Bankr. Inst. L. Rev. 433 (2016)
- Whose Goodwill Is It? The Taxation of Goodwill in Owner-Entity Transactions, 122 J. Taxation 74 (2015)
- The Tail That Wags the Dog: The Problem of Pre-Merit-Decision Interim Fees and Moral Hazard in the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, 63 U. Kan. L. Rev. 1 (2014)
- The Fifth Amendment and the Conjurer’s Circle: Exploring the Privilege Against Self-Incrimination in Federal Tax Practice, 9 Charleston L. Rev. 147 (2014)
- To Lien Strip or Not to Lien Strip: Fourth Circuit Blesses Controversial “Chapter 20” Bankruptcy Lien Stripping in In re Davis, 65 S.C. L. Rev. 963 (2014)
- Multiple-Entity Planning to Reduce Self-Employment Taxes: Recent Cases Demonstrate the Pitfalls & How to Avoid Them, 13 J. Tax Prac. & Proc. 31 (2011)
- Patenting the Fingerprint of God: How Gene Patents Violate the Products of Nature Doctrine, 5 Liberty U. L. Rev. 77 (2010)
Timothy M. Todd serves as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Associate Professor of Law. He has taught an array of courses including individual income taxation, mergers and acquisitions, business planning, and bankruptcy. He clerked for the Honorable Eric G. Bruggink of the United States Court of Federal Claims in Washington, D.C. Todd graduated summa cum laude from Liberty University School of Law, where he graduated first in his class and served as Managing Editor of the law review. He has the distinct privilege of being the first Liberty Law alumnus to join the law school faculty full-time. Todd began his tenure as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in 2016.
Dean Todd serves as a regular Forbes contributor, writing about taxes, tax planning, tax cases, and related areas. He also served as an ATAX Research Fellow, being named the 2015 John Raneri Fellow at the University of New South Wales School of Taxation and Business Law in Sydney, Australia.
Dean Todd has been quoted in outlets such as Bloomberg, Bloomberg BNA Daily Tax Report, Tax Notes, Tax Notes Today, Accounting Today, Business News Daily, and MainStreet.Com. He serves on the editorial board of Business Tax Quarterly, a publication of the ABA Section of Business Law Taxation Committee. He is a member of the ABA’s Joint Task Force on Governance Issues for Distressed Companies and also serves as a member of the AICPA's Tax Practice and Procedures Committee.
Todd’s research and teaching interests include taxation, business planning, and corporate law, among other topics. His works have been published in the Marquette Law Review, the American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review, the Journal of Taxation, the University of Kansas Law Review, the South Carolina Law Review, the Charleston Law Review, the Journal of Tax Practice and Procedure, and the Liberty University Law Review.
Dean Todd is a Certified Public Accountant and holds an active Virginia license. He also earned the Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®) designation. Before law school, he worked in corporate accounting for a Fortune 500 insurance company. While there, he completed additional education and training in insurance and mortgage industries.
Todd holds a master’s degree in accounting and graduated summa cum laude from the honor’s program at Liberty University with a bachelor’s degree in business specializing in finance. He completed additional financial planning education from the College for Financial Planning in Denver, CO, where he earned the Accredited Asset Management Specialist designation.
Todd is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia. He is admitted to the bars of the Supreme Court of Virginia, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the United States Court of Federal Claims, and the United States Tax Court. He is a member of the Virginia State Bar, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and the American Academy of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants.