Professor Foote serves as the Executive Director of Simulation and Standardized Patients. She started her career in nursing as an L&D nurse in a hospital in Athens, GA. She has since worn many hats in her nursing career. With her WHNP, she managed a satellite clinic of the local Health Department. After moving to VA, she worked as an NP at a Family Practice in Rocky Mount, VA and provided services at the student health center at Ferrum College. She then started in the MSN program at Radford University following the FNP track with a certificate in Gerontological nursing. While obtaining her MSN, Professor Foote went into nursing education and found that this is truly where her heart lies – sharing her love for the nursing profession with students and helping them through their journey into nursing.
In 2012 she began her career as an educator in nursing simulation, expanding her nursing education role. Since the beginning of this journey in her life, she has developed a passion for using simulation in nursing education. She has taken every opportunity to learn in this growing field. She has presented topics on simulation in nursing education at local, state, national, and international conferences. She is an active member of several professional organizations for nursing and healthcare simulation. She earned a certificate as a Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) and has maintained this status since 2015.
- National League of Nursing (NLN)
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH)
- Virginia State Simulation Alliance (VASSA)
- NURS 340 Nursing Care of the Childbearing Family Accelerated
Publications (peer-reviewed articles)
- Cunningham S, Cunningham C, Foote L. Recognizing elder abuse: an interprofessional simulation experience. Journal of GERIATRIC Physical Therapy. 2020.
- Cunningham S, Foote L, Sowder M, Cunningham C. Interprofessional Education and Collaboration: A Simulation Experience Focused on Common and Complimentary Skills in an Acute Care Environment. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2018.
- Simulation in Nursing Education
- Interprofessional Education in Simulation
- Mentoring of New Leaders in Education
- Nursing Education
- Women’s Health