Contact Us: (434) 592-5300
Liberty University School of Law offers comprehensive externship opportunities at more than 200 sites in a variety of legal settings. Get real-world legal experience in public interest and policy organizations, trial and appellate courts, and government agencies in the following areas of law:
- Public defense
- Media and entertainment
Highlighted Externship Opportunities
Constitutional Litigation Clinic
Experience all phases of newly filed and ongoing cases including direct client contact, attorney strategy sessions, and more, under the supervision of constitutional law professors and experienced constitutional litigators. Students attend a required weekly classroom component and weekly case-planning sessions.
Work closely with Virginia Commonwealth’s Attorneys in Bedford, Va. Represent the Commonwealth of Virginia in the prosecution of criminal law cases.
Externships at Liberty Law
Starting Your Externship
- If you have have successfully completed one full year of law school with a GPA of 2.0 or better, you are eligible to participate in the program.
Credits You Can Earn
- You can earn a total of four externship credits during your academic career in law school. Each credit represents 60 hours of fieldwork making a total of 240 externship hours. You must commit to a minimum of two credit hours per semester which represents enrollment as one class. A semester field placement is one day per week for eight hours plus one hour on campus for case rounds.
Summer Break and Externships
- Summer externs commit to a minimum of 240 hours over an eight-week placement and are awarded two credits.
- You are required to keep a weekly time log and journal. Also, you are responsible to submit an evaluation completed by your field supervisor at the completion of the program. Examples/samples of work product are also required where applicable.
- United States Attorney’s Office
- National Child Protection Training
- United States Secret Service
- Indiana Attorney General
- United States Army JAG School