Maintaining F-2 Dependent Status
The spouse and minor children (under 21 years old) accompanying an F-1 student are eligible for admission in F-2 status.
- The spouse and children of an F-1 student will each be issued an individual SEVIS Form I-20.
- An F-2 may not work under any conditions in the U.S.
- An F-2 may only be enrolled part-time in post-secondary education.
- An F-2 child may study at the primary and/or secondary level (K-12).
- An F-2 wanting to attend university full time must apply for F-1 status. The dependent must be approved for F-1 status before they are able to begin taking classes full time.
Changes to Dependents
- Please let your International Student Advisor (ISA) know if your F-2 dependent is no longer living in the U.S.
- If you need to add an F-2 dependent to your F-1 I-20, you will need to show an affidavit of increased financial support. Contact your ISA for more information.
- F-2 child dependents are no longer eligible for F-2 status after the age of 21. Contact an immigration attorney to apply for a change of status.