School Counseling Practicum Information
The primary focus of the School Counseling Practicum (EDCE 698) for the M.Ed in School Counseling program is to introduce candidates to the counseling environment and the development of counseling-related skills, ethics, and professionalism based on clinical activities and exposure to the counseling field in a setting qualitatively different from that of the culminating internship experience.
Prerequisites: Successful completion of Profession, Ethical & Legal Issues in Counseling (EDCE 501) and Counseling Theories & Techniques (EDCE 505); 3.0 GPA; background check clearance; professional liability insurance through the American Counseling Association.
- Professional, Ethical & Legal Issues in Counseling (EDCE 501) is an 8-week course and cannot be taken in the same semester as School Counseling Practicum (EDCE 698).
- Counseling Theories & Techniques (EDCE 505) is an intensive and cannot be taken in the same semester as School Counseling Practicum (EDCE 698).
Site: An agency (clinical) setting such as a private practice, community service board, hospital, non-profit organization, or university counseling center. Note: Candidates will provide services only at the location and only those hours will be counted toward clinical hours accrual. Candidates will not leave the clinical site for home visits or other off-location destinations, nor is Liberty University responsible should the intern leave the site of record.
Site Supervisor: A licensed counselor such as an LPC, LCSW, or LMFT who is currently working in a counseling setting and who has at least three years of counseling experience and training in counselor supervision.
Hours: 150 cumulative hours during the 16-week semester, including at least 40 direct service hours such as client assessment, counseling, psycho-educational activities, and client consultation. The remaining 110 hours may include observation, maintaining case notes, consultation with other counselors, etc.
Deadlines are the same each year.
- Fall Semester: July 1
- Spring Semester: November 1
- Summer Semester: March 1
In order to be registered for EDCE 698, you must submit an application on LiveText.
The instructions to complete the EDCE 698 Practicum Application on LiveText are as follows:
1. Log into LiveText
2. Click the “LiveText Docs” tab
3. Click on “+New”
4. Choose the “Gate Applications” dropdown list
5. Choose “EDCE 698 Practicum Application TEMPLATE” from the list
6. Click “Create Document” at the bottom of the screen
7. Title your application with your name
8. Click “OK”
After your practicum application is approved, you will be registered for the course by the School Counseling Field Coordinator. You will not be able to register for this course through ASIST.
Coursework in Blackboard:
- Most of the Blackboard coursework consists of paperwork completed by you, signed by the site supervisor, and submitted by you. The required paperwork can be located on the School Counseling Advising Guide.
Field Experience Module:
- You will be responsible to submit a FEM Form in order to have placement details set up in LiveText.
- The FEM Form should be submitted in Week One of the course. Without submitting the FEM Form, the supervisor will not be able to access the LiveText placement to complete the required evaluations and you will be unable to complete evaluations and maintain the time log.
- Evaluations must be completed in the FEM by you and the site supervisor.
- You will maintain a time log in the FEM, which must be approved by the site supervisor.
- You will be required to meet with the site supervisor for an average of 1 hour per week for individual or triadic supervision.
- You will participate in an average of 1.5 hours per week of synchronous group supervision through WebEx with your faculty supervisor/course professor.
- All practicum and internship students are required to join in group supervision using both audio and video connections through WebEx. Keep in mind, both verbal and nonverbal behavior are being assessed by supervisors; therefore, be sure to connect from a confidential location, wear modest clothing, and practice professional verbal and nonverbal behavior during group supervision.
- During the practicum, you will be required to record (audio or video) one complete (at least 20 minutes) session with a client.
- A signed consent from the client or the client’s parent/guardian is required.
- The session will be evaluated in LiveText by you, the site supervisor, and the faculty supervisor/course professor.
- The recording will be posted on a Discussion Board, and you will provide meaningful responses to at least two classmates’ recorded sessions.
In order to be eligible to serve as a site supervisor, the following qualifications must be met:
- A minimum of a master’s degree in counseling or a related profession with equivalent qualifications
- An appropriate professional, state-recognized counseling license
- A minimum of three years of professional experience in counseling
- Currently working in a counseling setting
- Training in counselor supervision or willingness to complete training in counselor supervision through Liberty’s School Counseling Supervisor Module.
Examples of Approved Supervisors
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW)
- Licensed Independent Social Work Supervisor (LISW-S)
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor (LPCS)
- Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LCADC)
- Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist (LCAS)
- Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor I (LCDC I)
- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC)
- Licensed Independent Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC)
- Licensed Addiction Counselor (LAD)
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor with Supervisor Designation (LPCC-S)
- Licensed Medical Health Clinician (LMHC)
- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor III (LCDC III)
- Licensed Psychologist
- Licensed Psychiatrist
Examples of Supervisors Not Approved
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) with the only exception of the macro- or clinical- designations in the state of Michigan
- Licensed Baccalaureate Social Worker (LBSW)
- Limited Licensed Professional Counselor (LLPC)
- Licensed Professional Counselor Associate (LPCA)
- Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor II (LADC II)
- National Certified Addiction Counselor I (NCAC I)
- National Certified Addiction Counselor II (NCAC II)
- Licensed Occupational Therapist
- School Counselor
- Pastoral Counselor
- Master of Divinity
- Individuals who are not licensed in the same state as the site
Candidates are responsible to arrange their own practicum placements. The School Counseling program offers a variety of suggestions on locating potential practicum sites. A list of sites previously used by candidates is also available. For these resources, please visit the School Counseling Practicum Sites page.