Concerning Behavior and Suspicious Activity
Procedures and Guidelines
Liberty University has partnered with the Department of Homeland Security’s See Something, Say Something campaign to raise awareness on our campus regarding suspicious activity. If you see something that doesn’t seem quite right, say something by contacting LUPD. By being alert and reporting suspicious activity, you can help protect our community.
If you witness a person acting in an odd or unusual manner or if a person or situation makes you feel uneasy, trust your instincts, and report it.
- Remain calm.
- DO NOT physically confront the person.
- DO NOT let anyone into a locked building or office.
- DO NOT block the person’s access to an exit.
- Call LU Emergency Communications at (434) 592-7641. Provide as much information as possible about the person and his or her direction of travel in your description of the person. Include age, race, clothing, height, weight, sex, hair and eye color, any weapons, their direction of travel, and any other identifying descriptors you noticed.
- If a suspicious person is standing by your car, or near a parking spot, just keep walking. When it appears to be safe, return to your vehicle and look around and inside your vehicle before getting in.
- Call LU Emergency Communications at (434) 592-7641 if you continue to feel unsafe and would like an Officer to escort you to another location on campus. Learn more about the LU Safe Ride Program offered by LUPD.
Suspicious Vehicle Indicators and Response Procedures
Suspicious Vehicle Indicators
- Missing or forged license plates.
- Covered or taped windows.
- Any vehicle that appears overloaded or has any substance leaking from it.
- Any vehicle containing drums, barrels, or other bulks containers.
- Parked illegally, parked at an unusual location, or appears to be abandoned.
Suspicious Vehicle Response Procedures
- The exact location of the vehicle in question.
- A description of the vehicle, including license plate, vehicle color, vehicle make, model, and any other distinguishing features.
- Your full name and the telephone number from which you are calling, in case you are disconnected.
- Do not hang up as additional information may be needed.
- Follow directions provided by emergency personnel.