Mission and Program Learning Outcomes
Program Purpose Statement
The purpose of the Liberty University School of Health Sciences undergraduate program in respiratory therapy is to prepare baccalaureate level respiratory therapists who are committed to Christian ethical standards and view respiratory therapy as a calling to serve. The respiratory therapy curriculum is built upon a foundation from the arts, sciences, and the Bible, and focuses on the use of the respiratory therapy process to guide the acquisition of knowledge, the development of strong clinical skills and a commitment to a sound work ethic.
To produce highly educated, effective and compassionate graduates who share the love of Christ in everything they do to care for those patients suffering from cardiopulmonary disease. The respiratory therapy faculty have identified the following concepts and core commitments that serve as the statement of values guiding the program.
Program Goals and Outcomes
The GOALS of the Respiratory Therapy Program are:
Upon successful completion of the B.S. in Respiratory Therapy program, the student will be able to:
- Comprehend, apply, and evaluate clinical information relevant to their roles as a registered respiratory therapist (cognitive domain).
- Perform the technical skills necessary to fulfill their role as a registered respiratory therapist (psychomotor domain).
- Demonstrate professional behavior consistent with clinical rotation site expectations as a registered respiratory therapist (affective domain).
- Utilize critical thinking/problem solving skills to develop the best patient treatment for those suffering from cardiopulmonary disease.
- Integrate the biblical worldview into all aspects of respiratory therapy.
The expected OUTCOMES of the Respiratory Therapy Program are that at least 90% of graduates (3-year average):
Entry to Practice
- On-time graduation
- Earn the credential of Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) within one year of graduation
- Provide positive responses (defined as a rating of 3 or higher on a 5-point Likert scale) on New Graduate Satisfaction Surveys
- Obtain a post-graduation respiratory therapy related position
- Receive positive responses (defined as a rating of 3 or higher on a 5-point Likert scale) on Employer Satisfaction Surveys