Residential Theological Studies Ph.D.
Gain a deep understanding of theology and the Christian faith with a Ph.D. in Theological Studies from Liberty University. Learn to write, publish, and engage with higher academic research as you equip yourself to teach and defend the Christian faith. You will explore topics such as the resurrection, the theology of the gospel, systemic theology, ethics, and learn how to integrate theology into your ministry.
Classes are taught by professors who are widely published in their area of expertise and who are dedicated to their biblical worldview. Take opportunities to join faculty in professional research, as you form relationships and gain experience.
Tailor your degree to fit your interests by choosing one major and one minor area of focus, in addition to core courses. You will also complete a modern language exam and a dissertation.
Areas of Focus:
- Apologetics – Gain an overview of key issues in apologetics and study evidence and arguments for the existence of God.
- Biblical Theology – Examine key theological themes and explore historical and current issues in biblical theology in both the Old and New Testaments.
- Christian Thought – Explore current issues in historical, systematic, and philosophical theology as well as contemporary conversations in theological studies.
- Public Theology – Study the intersection of Christianity and topics such as politics, ethics, and current events as you learn how to engage with public issues from a Christian perspective.
Academics: Ph.D. in Theological Studies
57 total hours
Program of Study
Featured Theological Studies Courses
- Seminar in Theological Method (THEO 900)
- Resurrection & Miracles (APOL 920)
- Historical Development of Christian Thought (THEO 903)
- Theology of the Gospel (BIBL 925)
- Christology in Contemporary Theological Perspective (THEO 905)
- Christianity and Politics (THEO 935)
Get Started with Your Theological Studies Ph.D.
Career Opportunities With This Degree
- College Professor
- Teaching Pastor
- Parachurch Worker
- Collegiate Ministry
- Academic Author or Researcher
- Apologetics Ministry
- Academic Publishing