Campus Runway: Timeless Fashion That Knows No Bounds

Glam, vintage and western—these are only a few of the descriptors that mark the cutting-edge style of Emma Christine Morgan, a student whose fashion is worn much deeper than material appearance. 

“I haven’t found a specific niche description of my style,” Morgan, a senior studying fashion design and business with a minor in history, said. “And I don’t believe I fully belong to one way of dressing. So, I try and just combine what I love together.”

Morgan’s sense of fashion finds its voice in her practice of styling contrasting pieces together. Perhaps it is the air of regency in her everyday looks or her bold taste in color—or both. 

“I used to be a classical violinist, but at the same time, all I would listen to growing up was rock ‘n’ roll,” Morgan said. “I believe conflicting interests has also bled into my fashion sense, when it comes to blending different looks together.”

Morgan draws inspiration from the sophistication of the Victorian Age, while simultaneously finding edge in the funk of modern trends. A defining factor of her style is the peace she has made with the inevitable evolution of her personal fashion taste.

“I feel like I’ve had a few experimental years with my fashion because I thought I had to fully commit to one way of dress, culture and lifestyle,” Morgan said. “But finding that I can dress however I want, in a way that makes seemingly different sectors of dress coexist together, has been the most freeing part of finding my personal style.”

Morgan believes her style is moving in a different aesthetic direction, as her interest in neutral colors and cleaner silhouettes increases. 

According to Morgan, fashion is not superfluous. She explains that shaping your wardrobe according to your own artistic vision will ultimately be the driving force in discovering your most authentic form of creative expression. Morgan encourages us to press forward through fashion in confidence, finding freedom and importance in our daily dress.

Emma Christine Morgan dressed in a blue monochromatic tule dress. (Photo by Lainey Kinneer)

“Fashion is perhaps one of the strongest communicators among members of our generation as to which influences have affected us, what we want to communicate to others about ourselves and how we want to create change for the future,” Morgan said. 

This perspective influences Morgan to style pieces together that let others see a bit of who she is on the inside.

“I try and let everything be an inspiration to me,” Morgan said. “Whether that be movies, music, regions of the world, jobs, different people I meet or different lifestyles I want to live.”

If someone is ever stumped on what to wear, Morgan suggests they take two pieces out of the closet that they do not think would ever go together and working to fit them into an outfit. If that method fails, she suggests picking one color and incorporating it into your outfit as much as possible.

Morgan’s favorite outfits right now include her slip skirt with a blue-embroidered detail, layered with a colorful shawl, her 70s square dancing dress with a corset overtop and her vintage oriental patterned set with hand-sewn ostrich feathers at the sleeves.   

“The feminine base of a skirt or dress makes me feel very comfortable, and I try and take creative liberties with the pieces I add on and just aim to have fun with my looks,” Morgan said. 

Whether dressed in a head-to-toe monochromatic look, a calf-length skirt with platform boots or a collared oversized shirt with statement pants, Morgan’s boldness in fashion points to the future of style, and it is catching wind across campus.

Green is the feature editor. Follow her on Twitter at @jessigreen0.