Pitcher Price Returns Strong From Injuries

The conference matchup between Liberty University and Presbyterian University Thursday, March 29, was just like every other game. The score went back and forth, and Liberty held a one-point lead following the fifth inning.

But in the sixth inning, everything changed.

As routine, Liberty’s sophomore pitcher Garrett Price briefly surveyed his surroundings before starting his wind-up.

Presbyterian’s outfielder Nick Guimbarda stood at home plate, ready to make an explosive play on the ball.

Following Price’s pitch, a loud crack rang throughout the stadium.

Then, silence.

“I got smoked in the face by a line-drive,” Price said. “It was on the same exact plane as I released, and it hit me.”

Despite the close encounter, Price refused to let this change the way he played or doing what he loved. His split skull and broken nose would not deter him from pursuing his favorite sport.

During his high school career at Liberty Christian Academy, Price earned LCA Defensive Play of the Year Honors as a shortstop in both 2015 and 2016 before winning LCA Player of the Year in 2016. His senior year, he was also named first team all-region and second team all-state.

“I wanted to focus on baseball because that was my true passion,” Price said.

Despite participating in many sports growing up, Price found home on the diamond field.

“I’m just going out to play baseball,” Price said of the honors. “I just wanted to have fun with it and get better and (be) the best I could be.”

His first collegiate appearance came as a relief pitcher against The Citadel when he threw two scoreless innings. He would repeat this feat in his home debut against the University of Kentucky.

Price also has experience as a closer, earning his first save after not allowing a run in two innings against Bryant University. He would earn his first win not even a week later, pitching three scoreless innings of relief and striking out five. Price would eventually be named a starting pitcher.

“It was tough to settle in,” Price said, recalling his first collegiate start against Bethune Cookman last season.

Fans at that game would find this hard to believe; Price would not allow a single run in the five innings he pitched. He would remain in the rotation as a starting pitcher for the rest of the season.

Price ended his freshman season with a 5-1 record, a 3.99 ERA and 57 strikeouts over 58 2/3 innings.

“I just followed what coach Gaines wanted us to do,” Price said, deflecting praise to his pitching coach. “He has stuff set up for us to be successful.”

Despite a successful freshman year, Price started the current season as a closer and eventually a reliever, but that was not necessarily a demotion.

“We had a couple strong arms that we had starting this year at the beginning of the year, but we needed somebody that had experience,” Price said.

Price said that before becoming a starting pitcher again this season, he had by far his worst outing this year.

“I come out of the bullpen, bases loaded,” Price said. “I threw a first pitch slider. The second pitch, I threw a changeup, hung it – grand slam.”

He gave up a base hit in the next pitch. Price threw a strike right after that, but he hung the following pitch – and he paid for it.

The ball split his head open and broke his nose.

“I had blood gushing from my head, but I was okay,” Price said. “I’m talking to (the trainer) and making jokes.”

He did not have to sit out a full week before being offered the starting pitcher role on his first day back. He has been starting every game since.

At the time of publication, Price leads the Big South Conference in ERA. In his two starts, he has only allowed one run in the 14 innings. If the sophomore keeps up this high level of play, his long-term goal is in reach.

“I want to go to the Majors,” Price said. “Everybody throwing in college wants a chance, but it’s difficult.”

The next change to see Price in action will be during the Flames three game series againt Longwood University April 27, 28 and 29 at the Liberty Baseball Field.