Nates Notes

“If (X candidate) becomes president, I’m moving to Canada.”

For many years now, people have carelessly tossed around this empty ultimatum. Usually, this claim has little to no weight, as they are back saying the same thing four years later. However, with the glorified circus we have dubbed the 2016 presidential election drawing closer and closer to its November conclusion, it appears American citizens are sincerely considering heading north to Canada.

Haywood

Haywood

According to huffingtonpost.com, when Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump did damage on Super Tuesday in March, many Americans began to search for legal ways to migrate to our northern neighbors. The Google search “how to move to Canada” surged 2,450 percent after Trump won seven states on Super Tuesday. Those numbers doubled that of a similar search in 2004 when George W.

Bush was re-elected.

The anti-Trump train is not the only one leaving the station with sights set for Canada. Democratic candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton have their fair share of American citizens who do not wish to see those two anywhere near the White House. For that group, the option of Canada has been mulled over as well.

I completely understand. We as Americans have not been presented with the most ideal list of candidates. Just look at this year’s front-runners. We have a liar, a socialist and a man void of any political experience. The list is so unfavorable, people are not actually going to vote for a candidate because they agree with him or her. This year, people intend to vote for one candidate just so the other will not be elected.

After reviewing all that information, it is hard to want to stick around and see how this whole thing plays out. However, that is what I intend to do.

I love my country. I love what it was built upon, and in certain instances, I love what it stands for. I am by no means saying those who wish to leave do not, but I am not the type to up and walk away from something I love. Yes, our country is not in the most pristine condition. And I cannot say with any confidence that any of the candidates will do a thing to make it better. If anything, I believe they will make it worse. And that is why I am not going anywhere. We can no longer rely on our government to “fix” our nation. It is the people who hold the fate of our country in their hands.

I do not imagine it will be easy, and much prayer will be needed. But I firmly trust that in the middle of all the madness, God remains in control. After all, sometimes he gives us the leaders we need, but sometimes, he gives us the leaders we deserve.

HAYWOOD is the editor-in-chief.