Senior showcase

“Oceans: Hidden Mysteries” now showing in art gallery

Featuring works of 32 student artists, the 2015 senior graphic design exhibition, “Oceans: Hidden Mysteries,” opened Thursday, Oct. 22 in the University Art Gallery.

“The idea with oceans is (that) there’s a depth of media (used) as well as content and subject matter,” Todd Smith, chairman of the studio and digital arts department and director of the exhibit, said.

art  — Some of the work displays the affects of pop culture and technology today. Photo provided

Art — Some of the work displays the affects of pop culture and technology today. Photo provided

The artists were allowed to showcase two pieces each, and the exhibit showcases works such as package designs, book and book cover designs as well as branding and rebranding projects.

According to Smith, the only stipulations for submission were that the subject matter was consistent with the “Liberty Way” and was not larger than 11” x 17” in size.

Common themes throughout the exhibit were technology, pop culture and how they affect the current generation.

Claus Larbie showcased two pieces, “Alienated” and “Connected,” which were antisocial campaign posters.

“I wanted to make a statement to let people know that it’s OK to be on your phone, but not all the time,” Larbie said.

Sean Guilliams had a similar idea with his pieces, “Faceless Selfy” and “Faceless Texting.”

“I’m making fun of our generation and myself as well and just how everybody is always on their phones,” Guilliams said. “It was an observation I made and I was like, ‘You know, that’d be a funny idea (for an artwork) because it makes people think.’”

Guilliams based his artwork on his personal style and simplicity with complexity behind it.

“I like to show people things where they know what it is when they see it, but it still makes them think,” Guilliams said. “(It could be) something in (a) room, but it has a message behind it. (It’s) something common, but unique at the same time.”

Ryan Knuppel showcased an identity work featuring Kim Kardashian, which he created using punk style for inspiration.

According to Knuppel, punk style was popular in the 1960s and 1970s in Europe, which later transferred to America.

“It’s all about making fun of the current trends of the time and grunging them up and making them real and raw,” Knuppel said. “I made (my design) more modern, so that’s why I chose Kim Kardashian. She’s probably one of the most famous people in the world right now.”

Knuppel’s design also paid homage to its British roots in its title.

“Instead of ‘God Save the Queen,’ I changed it to ‘Save Us From Kim,’” Knuppel said.

Christopher Toews showcased two pieces, “You are Definable” and “You Look Fine.”

“You are Definable” focused on how people relate to trends.

“There’s a lot of trendy people that want to do this one thing that’s very popular, so I decided I wanted to pick that apart and say, ‘Just because you make something pretty doesn’t mean there’s any actual meaning behind it,’” Toews said. “I picked apart a couple of trends and made outlines of two of my classmates actual pieces and incorporated them into my work.”

Toews’ “You Look Fine” design was based on how people perceive their self-image.

“You see a lot of dudes in the DeMoss bathrooms flipping their hair and trying to get it just right, which is stupid,” Toews said. “Just do whatever, you know? I made a hand mirror that has an outline of what the perfect guy would look like. You’re supposed to hold it up and see yourself reflected with this perfect hair and this perfect beard.”

The exhibit runs through Nov. 7. The Art Gallery is located in Green Hall, room 1955. For more information about the exhibit, visit liberty.edu/artgallery or their Facebook page, “Liberty University Art Gallery.”

Maurer is a feature reporter.