Ear for music, heart for God

Sophomore Clay Finnesand is driven by his passion for Jesus and music

While in second grade, he struck his first notes on a piano — an old Yamaha upright that he jokes is “still the best piano (he’s) ever heard.” At first, he practiced on his own without any formal instruction. Whenever he walked by, he would simply take a seat for a few short minutes, play some notes and then be on his way.

Chords — After traveling through the summer, Clay Finnesand, third from left, and Exodus occasionally lead worship in Convocation. Photo credit: Kevin Manguiob

His audition his sophomore year of college delivered a different result, and he accepted an offer to be a part of Exodus.

The team spent weeks on the road this past summer traveling to various youth and church events, and their ministry has continued into the school year.

Clay Finnesand and the rest of the band Exodus spent the final days of the fall semester recording their full-length worship album and kicked off the New Year opening up Liberty’s Winterfest for artists like Lecrae and Skillet. While they minister through their music on stage, Exodus guitarist Melodie Castellanos believes that the personal connections they make with the students are just as important.

“A huge part of the ministry we do on weekends doesn’t happen on stage,” Castellanos said. “It happens back at the table … when we’re listening to (students’) stories and their hearts.”

Exodus is able to partner with ministries on an almost weekly basis, and Finnesand knows he is in the right place, surrounded by the right people, and is allowed the opportunity to enjoy his passion while praising God.

Even at a young age, he demonstrated an ear for music, citing that early on in his lessons, his piano teacher would play a short song, and he simply
reciprocated the notes. A growing inclination toward music ushered with it an interest in song writing. His second grade teacher requested each student in the class write something related to Easter. Finnesand chose to write a short song.

“I wrote my first song … called ‘He is Risen,’” Finnesand said. “My whole class ended up singing it for the parents. At that point, my parents decided I should start taking lessons.”

While he continued to develop his technical skills as a musician, his purpose for playing remained constant. Finnesand felt drawn to the calm and reflective nature of allowing the notes and words of songs to express his praises. That thoughtful attitude is demonstrated still today as he often pauses and ponders before speaking.

“I would sit down and play on the piano and then I would just start singing to God,” Finnesand said. “It was always the very childlike attitude (of), ‘I want to
worship my Father.’”

It was after writing a song his freshman year of high school that he fully realized the potential of using his gifts to allow others to join him in praise. A senior at his high school and his youth group’s worship leader took him under their wing and provided him opportunities to lead. It was also during this time that his school’s chapel band was in need of a guitarist, and he jumped at the opportunity to learn the instrument that remains his primary choice today.

Finnesand’s hopes to continue his ministry on one of Liberty’s worship teams. Although his ambitions were curtailed in his first three audition attempts, two of which were during his high school years, Finnesand still had faith in the plan God had for him. After receiving callbacks twice, he admitted he was disappointed when he learned there were no spots available. However, he looks back on those times with a sense of gratitude.

“(My freshman year) was a really cool growing time,” Finnesand said. “I can be thankful I didn’t get the chance to lead worship but (instead) have the Holy
Spirit lead me.”

Though Finnesand’s position now affords him the opportunity to be part of a team that leads others in worship all across the country, his start in music did not begin with that vision in mind.

“It was never because I wanted to do an album or sing in front of other people as much as it was that songs were always my prayers,” Finnesand said. “It’s just a very tangible way for me to worship — even with the simplest notes.”

While Finnesand’s plans may not be secure, he says that he is holding onto the plan God has for him.

“I just know that in this season, this is what God has called me to do,” Finnesand said. “And I get to travel with a team of people who are excellent musicians, but more importantly, they’re pursuing Christ. It’s a beautiful thing.”

Clarke is a guest writer.