Taking It Global

CGE hosted an informational meeting Aug. 27

More than 2,000 students gathered in Thomas Road Baptist Church Aug. 27 as the Center for Global Engagement (CGE) hosted its annual informational meeting, the Take It Global Expo.

The event featured the unveiling of the new 2013-2014 global trips and challenged students of all majors to “take your degree global.”

Missions — Sarah Boorom and Chesed Dent talk to student. Photo credit: Gabriella Fuller

Johnnie Moore, Liberty’s vice president for communications, introduced students to the various departments of the CGE and encouraged students to get involved, emphasizing the unique possibilities that Liberty students have to become champions for Christ not only at home, but around the world.

“This is the first generation where we can actually reach the entire world,” Moore said. “Will you go?”

Those in attendance were also given a first look at a short film wich was captured over the course of previous trips and developed by the CGE. The documentary, entitled “The World is Open,” highlighted student testimonies from various regions of the world and served as a platform to challenge students to become a part of the difference Liberty is making worldwide.

The event concluded by giving students the opportunity to speak with the various staff and team members who will be leading trips throughout Africa, Europe, South America, and Southeast and Central Asia.

Devyn Indyk, a junior and campaign assistant at CGE, commented on her experience at the expo.

“I talked to one boy who was from Tibet and wanted to stop by the East Asia table to see what Liberty was going to be doing in his region of the world,” Indyk said. “We had an awesome conversation about how God has worked in his life … It was so great to hear his heart and learn about what God is doing around
the world.”

According to Indyk, reaching every nation is a central theme at the CGE, one that faculty and staff discuss passionately.

“I love being able to work in an office whose goal is to serve the nations for the Lord,” Indyk said. “It’s such a blessing to know that God doesn’t have to use us, but he wants to use us.”

According to Sarah Boorom, a senior and graphic designer for the CGE, she was encouraged by the positive turnout at the expo, a reminder to her and the entire staff as to why they do what they do.

“The crowds at the tables after the meeting were massive,” Boorom said. “It was great to see so many students interested in the trips. I may not personally be going on these trips, but I am able to support the students by helping make it easy for them to be successful. I get to do what I love while helping a cause that is bigger than myself.”

Both Indyk and Boorom have previously traveled with the CGE on global teams and realize the permanent impact the opportunity has on students’ hearts and lives.

“I met people in Nepal who had never heard the name of Jesus, and I got to tell them about him,” Boorom said. “I experienced their culture. I watched them worship their own gods, and I saw the need for Jesus there. It opened my eyes and reminded me how important it is to tell people about Jesus and never stop sharing.”

When asked if she had any advice for students considering a trip this year, Indyk responded with a word of motivation.

“Never let fear get in the way of making a trip globally,” Indyk said. “God has you in his hand and he’s never going to let you go. Never be afraid to answer his call because it could lead to something miraculous that you’ll never forget.”

Liberty will send a total of 19 teams abroad over Christmas, spring break and summer. To find out more information or to apply, visit www.liberty.edu/globalteams.