Dr. Kevin King
Associate Professor of Homiletics and Historical Theology
Email Dr. King: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D., University of Pretoria
- D.Min., Southern B.T. Seminary
- M.Div., Southeastern B.T. Seminary
- B.S., Georgia State University
- HOMI 500: Preparation of the Sermon
- HOMI 605: Expository Preaching
- HOMI 810: Preaching the Grand Story of Bible
Dr. King grew up in the metro area of Atlanta, Georgia. He became an Atlanta Police Officer as he was finishing his undergraduate degree at Georgia State University. Dr. King served in various capacities with the APD (patrol officer in Zone 3, Red Dog Squad, and Special Operations Section). After leaving the APD, Dr. King joined the Clayton County District Attorney’s Office and was assigned to the Narcotics Task Force. While serving in this capacity, Dr. King participated in undercover narcotic buys, search warrant executions, long term drug investigations and received his SWAT certification.
In 1991, Dr. King left law enforcement to answer his call to the ministry. He left Georgia to pursue education and ministry opportunities in Texas, North Carolina, Kentucky, Colorado, Virginia, and South Africa. During this time Dr. King earned degrees from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (M.Div.), The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (D.Min. in Expository Preaching), and from the University of Pretoria (Ph.D. in Church History).
Dr. King has pastored churches in North Carolina, Georgia, Colorado, and now Virginia. In addition to teaching at the Liberty University Rawlings School of Divinity, he is the pastor of Palestine Baptist Church located near Smith Mountain Lake, Va. Dr. King serves as the M.Div. Director and Professor of Homiletics and Historical Theology. Dr. King received the Rawlings School of Divinity Teacher of the Year Award (2015-2016) and the Dr. Daniel R. Mitchell Teacher of the Year by the Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary student body (2013).
He is the husband of Joy Akin King (his high school sweetheart) and father to Daylee, Kevin Jr. and Julianna. As of April of 2016, Dr. King is the proud grandfather of Sebastian Isaac Tapia (son of his daughter Daylee and husband Wal Ter Tapia).
“Carl F H. Henry: The Pursuit of VERITAS and the Christian University"
Historical and Theological Foundations of History’s Preachers, vol. 1 & 2 (co-editor)
- “Religious Freedom: The Cornerstone of Life and Liberty in the Thought of Carl F. H. Henry” (2016)
- “The Family, the Special Needs Child and the Gospel: A Story of Transformation” (2015)
- “Caring for Creation-Adopting the Special Needs Child: A Changed Perspective” (2012)
Liberty University Faculty Lecture Series:
- “Truth in an Age of Skepticism”(2014)