Hoffman arrives

By Nate Haywood

Alaskan guard sees his dream become reality

“Ever since I have been playing basketball, Liberty is where I have wanted to be.”

These are the words of the Calvin Hoffman, the recruit who dreamed of playing for the Liberty Flames men’s basketball team.

Hoffman, a 6-foot guard from Anchorage, Alaska, has been playing basketball for nearly his entire life. His father was a high school basketball coach, so Hoffman was constantly in the gym, beginning at an early age. According to Hoffman, basketball is one of the more popular sports in his home state due to the fact that it can be played indoors instead of outside in the cold weather.

Untitled-12

According to Hoffman, he comes from a family full of Liberty University alumni. His parents, uncles and sisters all attended. Growing up, he heard countless stories about their time at Liberty, each strengthening his desire to attend Liberty.

“I definitely wanted to come to Liberty,” Hoffman said. “(Liberty) is the best Christian school that there is.”

Hoffman also wants to be a pastor. His father is a youth pastor at his local church, and Hoffman plans to follow in his father’s footsteps.

“I grew up around youth ministry,” Hoffman said. “I definitely feel like it is a calling from the Lord. I have taught Sunday school classes while growing up. I’ve preached at the elementary chapel at our church.”

Going to a school that implemented Christian values and provided classes for ministry made Liberty even more attractive to him.

However, the Alaska native soon found out that the road to Lynchburg, Virginia, was not an easy one.

Hoffman began taking the necessary steps to be noticed by Flames Head Coach Dale Layer. Hoffman attended Liberty’s annual Elite Camps three different times – each consisting of more than 8,000
miles round-trip.

“(Traveling to Lynchburg) was expensive,” Hoffman said. “It was definitely a challenge to come down here for an Elite camp. But my parents were like, ‘Hey, if this is your dream, we have the ability to help you chase after it. If you want to go down, go down.’”

Layer recognized the young guard’s ability and dedication each time he attended the camps. He described Hoffman as a skilled, crafty player that can shoot very well.

However, traveling was not the only obstacle Hoffman faced. Something far more devastating tended another Elite camp, he broke his right arm, an injury that sidelined him for more than
six weeks.
“In my mind, that was my last chance to really get in front of Liberty,” Hoffman said. “Because at that time, they weren’t really recruiting me.”

Fortunately for Hoffman, he was given one more opportunity to show Layer what he could bring to the team. Right after Hoffman finished recovering, his team entered a tournament — a tournament that
Layer attended.
“I had seen Coach Layer around the tournament,” Hoffman said. “I remember telling my coach, ‘Hey, go tell Coach Layer to come watch me.’”

Surely enough, Hoffman’s next game began, and Hoffman noticed the Flames head coach sitting on the bleachers. This was an opportunity that Hoffman was not going to let go to waste.

“Before the game, I said, ‘Lord, I want to go to Liberty,’” Hoffman said. “’Lord, if you would allow me to go to Liberty, I need you to make me play the best game of my life.’”

Hoffman’s prayer was answered. He finished the game with a game-high 36 points and with the confidence that came with knowing Layer had seen his best. Hoffman soon found out that Layer was in attendance to see fellow Flames recruit A.C. Reid. However, the Alaskan left a lasting image in Layer’s mind.

“I had seen him play,” Layer said. “He played really well. He was a little bit bigger and a little bit stronger. We’re thankful that he is a part of our team. We were very thrilled with his commitment.”

Soon after the tournament, Hoffman’s dream became a reality. Layer gave Hoffman the phone call he had been waiting for his entire life. Hoffman was asked to join the Liberty Flames men’s basketball team.

“I was just excited,” Hoffman said. “I thanked God, because I knew that he was the only reason why I was here. … For the chance to come true, I just couldn’t help but smile. I remember going to church Wednesday night and I literally was just smiling the entire night.”

According to Layer, Hoffman committed in the fall this year and both Layer and Hoffman are excited. Hoffman’s dream came to fruition while Layer added a quality, talented player to his roster.

According to maxpreps.com, Hoffman ranks as the No. 2 player in the state of Alaska. According to libertyflames.edu, Hoffman scored more than 1,700 points in his four years at Anchorage Christian
School while averaging 15.3 points per game.

Talent was not the only thing that made Hoffman appealing to Layer. Layer recognized the guard’s desire to play for the Flames, which is something that Layer does not see often.

“He wanted to come to Liberty,” Layer said. “It’s kind of hard to find people who are already sold about Liberty before you even talk to (them).”

With the 2014-15 season less than two weeks away, Hoffman is anxiously anticipating his first season with the Flames.

“I’ve always wanted to be at Liberty,” Hoffman said. “… This was my only choice.”

These are no longer the words of a recruit dreaming to play for the Flames. These are the words of the player with the number three on the back of his jersey, Calvin Hoffman. Point guard for the Liberty Flames men’s basketball team.

HAYWOOD is the asst. sports editor.