Dr. Steve Keith
Email Dr. Keith: firstname.lastname@example.org
- D.Min., Denver Seminary, 2000.
- M.Div., BJU Seminary, 1981.
- M.A., Air University, 2005.
- B.A., BJU, 1977.
- CHPL 500: Introduction to Chaplaincy Ministry
- CHPL 598: Chaplain Formation Practicum
- CHPL 615: Chaplain Ethics for Advisement and Pastoral Care
Dr. Steven E. Keith serves as Director of the Center for Chaplaincy at Liberty University. In this capacity he orchestrates the Center’s mission of educating and equipping over 900 chaplain students to be Champions for Christ in secular and sacred environments. Additionally, Dr. Keith serves as the Professor of Chaplaincy in the School of Divinity. Moreover, Dr. Keith serves as the Associate Chaplain Endorser of Liberty Baptist Fellowship, endorsing over 300 chaplains to the U.S. Military. Finally, he serves as a chaplain for Operation Heal Our Patriots, a ministry of Samaritans Purse for our military veterans.
Formally, Chaplain, Colonel Steve Keith (USAF Ret.) served as an Active Duty Air Force Chaplain from 1984-2014. Notably, as Director of the Armed Forces Chaplaincy Center (AFCC) he led the Congressionally mandated inauguration of the new Center for Chaplaincy and orchestrated inter-service education for the Army, Navy, and Air Force Chaplain Corps. Additionally, he served as the Commandant of the Air Force Chaplain Corps College and was responsible for the education and training of all Active Duty, Reserve, and Air National Guard Chaplains and Chaplain Assistants, ministering to 800,000 military personnel and their families worldwide. Distinctly, Chaplain Keith served in 19 assignments worldwide and deployed several times to the Middle East, most notably to Iraq where he received the Bronze Star for exceptional ministry while under fire in 2004.
Chaplain Keith was ordained to the ministry in 1981 and was commissioned as an Air Force chaplain in 1983. He holds a Bachelor of Arts, Master of Strategic Studies, Master of Divinity, and Doctor of Ministry.Chaplain Keith is married to Delta (Johnson) Keith and they have five children and one grandchild.
Major Awards and Decorations
- Legion of Merit
- Bronze Star Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Army Commendation Medal
- Navy-Marine Commendation Medal
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters and Valor
- Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
- National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Church Planter Award, Baptist Bible Fellowship International, Fort Worth, TX.
- Outstanding Community Service Award, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, AL.
- Founding pastor of Open Door Baptist Church, Prattville, AL.
- Witherspoon Chaplains Award (Outstanding Preaching) Laymen’s National Bible Assoc., NY.