The Provost serves as the primary voice on academic matters within the administration and is the second-ranking academic official of the University, after the President. In collaboration with the deans, the Faculty Senate, and the General Faculty, the Provost & Chief Academic Officer develops and implements the academic vision and values of the University.
These core values are engaged through the various academic programs offered in multiple delivery formats, as well as through the teaching, research, and service activities of the academic centers. The Provost & Chief Academic Officer provides leadership in continuously improving undergraduate and graduate instruction and academic support services.
The provost bears responsibility for:
- Budgeting and evaluation for all academic divisions
- Working with the deans to identify and prioritize resource allocations among academic units
- Assessing the performance of academic leaders to provide regular feedback to encourage improvement
- Overseeing a structured process through which faculty can develop professionally within their disciplines, improve as effective academic communicators, and utilize the wide array of technological tools and resources available to enrich the art of teaching
- Communicating on behalf of the University, serving as the liaison to those external agencies with which the University maintains institutional accreditation
- Communicating regularly with the President and the various University constituencies on matters of importance
- Serving as the liaison of the administration to the Faculty Senate
Scott M. Hicks, Ph.D.
Provost & Chief Academic Officer
Dr. Scott Hicks came to Liberty University as a professor in 2007 before becoming Dean of the School of Business in 2012. In 2017 he was named Vice Provost of Graduate Education, followed by entering into his current role in 2018 as Provost. By God’s grace, Scott has been able to lead the School and the University in new initiatives and programs. During his tenure, the School of Business created over nine programs with over 65 cognates and/or concentrations, a Center for Entrepreneurship, developed strategic partnerships with global companies such as Adobe, Apple, Aruba, Cisco, and Oracle, and attained ACBSP accreditation for School of Business programs. He continues to be entrusted to oversee the higher education goals of the University as he presently serves as Provost.
Prior to coming to Liberty University, Scott served as Director of Retail Operations for Mansfield Oil Company, one of America’s largest Forbes 400 companies. His service in industry has provided him the practical experience necessary to add value to those in higher education. More importantly, he seeks to glorify God in pursuit of living out Luke 10:27 in his personal and professional life.
Dr. Hicks holds a Ph.D. in Business Administration with concentrations in Financial Management and International Business from Northcentral University, an M.B.A. from Liberty University, and a B.S. in Business Management with specializations in Finance and Management from Liberty University.