Master’s in School Counseling (M.Ed.)
Provide Student Care and Counseling by Earning a Master’s in School Counseling Online
As children grow into young adults, the social, emotional, and spiritual challenges they face will shape the rest of their lives. As a school counselor, you will have the unique opportunity of guiding these students in times of crisis and helping them navigate life choices.
Liberty University’s CACREP accredited online Master of Education (M.Ed.) in School Counseling program can prepare you to steer students toward better, more fulfilling lives while helping you meet the highest standards of both educational and psychological competencies.
You’ll gain a specialized skill set of counseling techniques and psychology theory, an understanding of critical ethical and social issues, and career and life-goal guidance methods — all from a Christian perspective. Our M.Ed. in School Counseling will equip you with the tools and knowledge you need to effectively counsel K-12 students so you can make a positive impact on the next generation of world-changers.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s Online Master’s in School Counseling Program?
- Study counseling practices and intervention strategies for K-12 students
- Create career development plans for students who are near graduation
- Learn how to establish healthy boundaries, communicate clearly, and manage the stressful situations that students go through
While the majority of your courses will be online, you’ll also get to learn from your professors face-to-face during some on-campus requirements. You will have a chance to put the skills you learn to the test in real-world settings during your internship and practicum, which can be completed in your state, on your time.
Most of the on-campus requirements are completed through one or more intensives — week-long classes held on our beautiful Lynchburg, VA campus that supplement your online classes. Intensives are rich opportunities for you to network, connect with your professor and classmates, and enjoy all the benefits of being a Liberty University student while you’re on campus. Intensives are typically offered multiple times per year for your convenience.
Potential Future Careers for Those Who Earn the Master of Education in School Counseling
Once you complete your online Master of Education in School Counseling degree from Liberty, you’ll have the opportunity to pursue:
- Licensed School Counseling in public and private K-12 schools
- Continued education/requirements to become a licensed professional counselor (LPC)
Please note: Each individual state has its own specific requirements for licensure. Please see your state professional counselor license board for more information.
Master of Education School Counseling Program Highlights
As a leader in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to create a flexible and affordable education for busy people. Since we have been investing in distance and online learning for decades, our experience has taught us how to streamline our degree options so you can focus on what really matters to you. While many schools offer online degrees, we believe Liberty stands out.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online master’s degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Our Master of Education in School Counseling degree is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- You can complete this degree program in as little as 2 years.
Service is important to us, so whether you’re currently serving in the Armed Forces, have served, or are married to someone who serves, we’re here to serve you. Liberty’s military benefits are available to:
- Active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Reserve/National Guard
- Spouses of service members and veterans/retirees
- Current Department of Defense employees
We are proud to support you in your pursuit of a flexible and affordable online education by offering you the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Online with required intensives
Transfer in up to 50% of the degree total
Next Start Date
Jun 28, 2021
Experience That Matters to You
As an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Virginia, Liberty University offers you an education that is both academically challenging and rooted in a biblical worldview.
At Liberty, you’ll benefit from 30+ years of learning, growing, adapting, and innovating for the distance learner — and more than a decade of researching the needs of the online student. You can be confident that we’ve taken the time to learn what’s important to you.
And what’s that?
- Academic Quality
These important factors challenged us to find new financial solutions, get ahead of industry trends, and blaze trails into cutting-edge career fields — and it’s paid off. That’s the difference experience makes.
We are widely recognized as a top university for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
Why Choose Liberty University?
Enjoy Flexible Courses
Choose from a wide variety of programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level, most of which are 100% online*. With an 8-week format and 8 start dates per year, it’s easy to fit your courses around your schedule!
* excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Maximize Your Time
Start and finish your degree faster! Liberty requires no standardized testing for admission, and you can transfer previous course credit — transfer in up to 75% of a bachelor’s degree and up to 50% of a master’s degree — or discover how your life, career, or military experience may count toward your college degree.
Grow in Your Faith
All of our courses are taught from a Christian perspective, and our faculty see themselves as mentors. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — we’re committed to championing you as you study to go further in your field, become a leader in your industry, or start a new career.
Access Academic Support
Throughout your educational journey, you will have access to academic resources that will aid in the completion of your degree. Services include our online library, writing center, tutoring, study aids, IT assistance, 30+ tutorial videos, live webinars, and personalized help from our academic advising team.
At Liberty, we believe in putting a world-class Christian education within reach — so our tuition rates have been frozen for 6 years and counting!
As a nonprofit (not-for-profit) university, Liberty is in the business of training skilled professionals to make a difference in the world – not gaining profit, revenue, or producing dividends for shareholders. In keeping with our commitment to your education, we invest our resources back into degree programs and into your student experience.
While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university and has not increased tuition for 6 straight years. Lower tuition means less student loan debt for students.
For Liberty University, nonprofit is more than a status; it is a valuable opportunity to invest in the lives of students who will go out and impact the world.
87% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. Virginia residents may qualify for additional aid — learn more!
Corporate Tuition Assistance
Deferred – If your company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you pay only a portion of your balance up front. You submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay the remaining balance for your classes.
Qualified military service members, veterans, and their spouses can receive up to 55% off their tuition rate for eligible programs!
Contact one of our Admissions Counselors for more information by calling (800) 424-9595.