The Tea With Bailey: Christians Can Demonstrate Faith And Hope In 2021

Whenever I am reading a book or watching a show and the storyline hits a snag, I start to panic. Is the main character or someone that they love going to die? Is the guy going to end up with the girl who he doesn’t realize loves him? Or how can they possibly defeat this monster that seems so big and foreboding?

When this happens, sometimes I’m tempted to skip forward in the book or find spoilers online about the show. I want to know that when it’s all said and done, good defeats evil, and the characters find love and live happily ever after – even if it means I spoil the ending for myself. 

I am so happy that in life, I know how it ends and I don’t have to wonder. If you’ve ever read Revelation, you know what I mean. The ending of our life and this world’s story is crystal clear. Evil will no longer triumph; pain will disappear, and we will be reunited with our Savior – forever – in Heaven.

Spoiler alert: Jesus wins! Satan will be defeated and those who have accepted the gift of Christ will live in paradise with Him forever. Talk about a great ending to our story, am I right?

How should this good news affect us as we face the uncertainty so present in our world today? I don’t know about you but knowing the end to the story gives me the boldness to face each day, knowing that no matter who is in power or which virus is rearing its ugly head or what kind of trouble I may face in my personal life, Jesus has a plan and a purpose for it. I can trust him and rest in the fact that He holds me today, He knows my tomorrow and knows what we’re going to face 20 years down the road.

It’s easy to succumb to the anxiety and the fear of the unknown – trust me, I’ve had plenty of moments where I’ve listened to the words of fear instead of the words of the one who loves me and holds me within the shelter of his wings.

Whenever I feel those first inklings of fear creeping in, I am reminded of the verse Isaiah 41:10: “Do not fear for I am with you. Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” 

As Christians who have the light of Christ in our lives, it should be our mission to spread that light and show others where our hope lies. In uncertain times such as this, people are looking for something to give them hope.

Instead of allowing ourselves to cave to worry or to succumb into the spirit of fear, we have the opportunity to be bold and to stand up and say, “This doesn’t scare me because my hope isn’t in the things of this world.”

Our hope is not in government, in celebrities, in money, in power, in prestige, in luck or in the universe. Our hope is in God who made this world we live in, who created us for a purpose and holds our very lives in the palms of his hands.

“Oh, death where is your sting? Oh, grave where is your victory?” Christ the Lord is in control and He has a plan for every single person. No little detail is too unimportant or escapes His notice.

Let us commit to show the light within us and proclaim our hope to a world that is hurting and desperate to know Jesus – whether they realize it or not.

The words from Meredith Andrews’ song “Not for a Moment” seem perfect for 2021. “You were reaching through the storm – walking on the water – even when I could not see. In the middle of it all, when I thought you were a thousand miles away. Not for a moment did you forsake me.” 

We don’t have to look hard to figure out who wins. God does, and that should be enough to give us hope and peace during such a time as this. 

Bailey Duran is the Opinion Editor. Follow her on Twitter at @d_baileyyyy.

One comment

• You hit it right in the head for me, Bai!! I think bout the Lords light through me all of thr time and how I can be that light to guide someone to Him!!! I am not afraid of “what if’s” in 2021 or my future because I’m secure in thr Armor of God!!

Like I’ve told you before you’re light is sooo bright I can see you from Arizona, Sweetness!! GOD BLESS YOU & your walk