Column: Take Time to Enjoy Yourself This Summer

Like the characters from Disney’s “High School Musical 2,” who sat at the edge of their seats, earnestly awaiting school’s end, I too long for summer.

“High School Musical” may be a childish comparison, but the example perfectly captures my current emotions.

Summer… Summer… Summer…

Fifteen weeks ago, when the school semester began, I reluctantly put my video games, fantasy novels and anime TV shows aside to focus on the responsibilities of school and work. Halfway through this semester, I perused my archive of books, video games and “Magic: The Gathering” cards, itching to put school on hold and escape into the wonderful world of my nerdy, geeky goodness.

Although several assignments still require my attention, the light bursting from the tunnel’s exit shines brighter than ever. I’m reaching toward it, but responsibility forces me to focus, even though the summer is beckoning my presence.

The time has finally — almost — arrived.

If you’re like me, a college student yearning for freedom, chances are you’ve developed a detailed summer bucket list, a complete guide for the greatest three months of your life.

Unfortunately, bucket lists are similar to New Year’s Resolutions: they’re exciting, optimistic, but then they slowly dissolve after about 30 days.

Due to responsibilities, you probably cannot complete everything you desire. You might have a summer job that requires your attention. You may travel to visit family, or you may even register for summer classes.

But whatever you do, don’t forget about your bucket list. How you treat it will either make or break your summer experience.

I’m not saying follow it step-by-step or to complete everything on your list. However, I am advising you to experience as much “you time” as possible. Because let’s be honest, you deserve it.

You’ve spent hours reading textbooks and studying for quizzes and tests; you’ve probably had at least one sleepless night this semester.

Nothing would serve you better than time away from school.

In the past, I’ve created awesome bucket lists filled with lavish adventures, but I miserably failed to follow through by summer’s end. Then once school begins, I feel like I’ve wasted my summer.

Nine months ago, that was my very feeling, but I’m determined to avoid the same mistake. Although I’ll be working this summer, I won’t let anything stand in my way from having a fantastic experience.

And whoever is reading this column — be you a college student, parent or both — I highly encourage you to set time aside for your personal enjoyment.

Because summer is short. You don’t have forever.

If you faithfully follow your bucket list, your work experience will be much more fulfilling. It’s always easier to accomplish your goals after you’ve had time to yourself.

And the same applies for summer break. Summers are awesome if you’ve accomplished good work during the semesters.

So, after this summer, when the craziness of responsibility hits you like a brick wall, don’t forget to pick up a copy of the Liberty Champion, visit our website or even follow us on Twitter. Trust me, similar to your bucket list, it will be worth pursuing.

Your hobbies may differ from mine, but whatever your interests, spend time exploring them. Don’t end summer with a regretful spirit because you didn’t consult your bucket list.

Persevere. Don’t let laziness interfere with the best summer of your life. Spend time with people you love, play video games, read books, take a trip to the beach and blast heavy metal music from your car stereo (no, it’s not called “screamo,” and screaming in music is an art form, Aunt Lisa).

There’s a fine line between concluding summer and finishing summer.

The result is in your hands.

So, without further ado, adhere the wise words of characters from “High School Musical 2.”

“School’s out! Scream and Shout!”